MUNCY - A family is temporarily homeless after a fire damaged their 215 Carpenter St. home in Muncy Creek Township Friday night.
Nikki Stepp said she was home with her three children at 11 p.m. when they saw flames in the upper levels of their two-and-half-story house just outside the borough.
"We saw orange and got out and called 911," she said.
Firefighters contained a Friday night fire to the second floor and attic of a home at 215 Carpenter St. in Muncy Creek Township.
Township fire Chief Greg Delany said the fire was triggered by an electrical malfunction in a second floor bathroom that was being remodeled.
"It originated there and spread into the attic," he said.
The second floor and attic absorbed fire, smoke and water damage, which Delany estimates at $30,000 to $45,000.
He said the Stepps have homeowners insurance to help cover property losses.
Delany said firefighters on the scene from Clarkstown, Pennsdale, Clinton Township and the boroughs of Muncy, Montgomery, Hughesville and Picture Rocks worked well together.
"We had a pretty good aggressive interior attack," he said of the firefight. "There were no issues, everybody worked well together, we had a good water supply."
Stepp said her husband, Jerry, was not home because he is an Army Reserves soldier training in Texas for overseas deployment.
Stepp and her children will stay with family in the area.