One man suffered burns in a garage fire that broke out late Sunday night in South Williamport in the 100 block of West Sixth Avenue, borough Fire Chief William Henry confirmed this morning.
The man, whose identity was not available, was initially taken to the Williamsport Regional Medical Center and then transferred to the burn unit at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, Henry said.
Neighbor John Chilson was one of those to call 911.
Firemen work the scene
"I heard some screams out back. I looked out my kitchen window and saw flames," said Chilson, who reported the blaze about 9:50 p.m.
"I grabbed my telephone and ran out of the house. I thought I might have to get him (the victim) out of the garage," Chilson said.
Just then, the victim came running out of his driveway and into the street yelling "help," Chilson said.
"He accidentally spilled some gasoline on one of his electrical heaters in the garage and I was told his pant legs caught fire," Chilson said.
The victim had managed to douse the flames on his pants when Chilson saw him.
The garage at 111 W. Sixth Ave. was engulfed in flames when firefighters, responding from the First Ward Fire Co less than two blocks away, arrived on the scene.
The fire was under control in about 20 minutes. The siding to the house, less than 5 feet away, was burned, leaving a family of four temporarily homeless, officials confirmed.
See Tuesday's Sun-Gazette for more information.