Eugene E. Landon, 76, of 144 Quaker State Road Montoursville, passed away Wednesday, June 1, 2011, at the Muncy Valley Skilled Nursing Unit. He was born July 3, 1934, in Williamsport, the son of Elmer H. and Kathryn M. Miller Landon.
Gene had owned and operated Landon Chemical Inc. and also repaired and restored 18th century furniture and made reproductions of the same. During his career he taught 18th century furniture making at Olde Mill Cabinet Shoppe in York, Pa., and was a founding member of the Society of American Period Furniture Makers. He has many pieces of furniture he made or restored in many museums across the United States including the White House. A life size eagle he carved out of the last living Liberty Tree located at St. John's College, Annapolis Md., is displayed at the Constitution Center, along with a copy of the Rising Sun Chair that he made. He was a member of Messiah Lutheran Church; the Dietrick Lamade Lodge No. 755 F&AM, the Tiadaghton Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution, and was a veteran of the United States Army.
He is survived by his wife, the former Jane Keyte with whom he would have celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary on August 22; his son, Benjamin E. Landon of South Williamsport; his sister, Marjorie L. Bieber of Montoursville; and many nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his sister, Beverly Morehart, of Montgomery.
A memorial service will be held 4 p.m. Saturday June 11, 2011, at Messiah Lutheran Church, 324 S. Howard St., South Williamsport with the Rev Maurice C. Frontz III officiating. Friends will be received on Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m. at the church. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made either to the Susquehanna Heart Center, c/o Providence Health System Foundation, 1001 Grampian Blvd., Williamsport, PA 17701, or to the Messiah Lutheran Church. Arrangements are by Spitler Funeral Home, Montoursville.