MUNCY - Its new website and concerns about the school district's new construction application, were hot topics at Tuesday evening's Muncy Borough Council meeting.
The borough approved a budget of about $3,000 for the website, which will be designed by Jeff Margel, of Pronet Systems, of Northumberland.
The website will feature an interactive event calendar and copies of various documents, meeting minutes, as well as biographies and contact information for borough employees, according to Margel.
Councilman Dana Bertin believes the cost of the website is justified.
"It seems like we've been spinning our wheels on getting this website up for a long time, if this is what it costs then this is what we need to do," Bertin said.
Margel promised that the borough would not regret giving his company the project.
"This will be something that will last for years. It will show Muncy in the right light and be something that you can really be proud of," Margel said.
However, council members were not as enthusiastic about the Muncy School Board's construction permit.
The permit would allow the school district to begin construction near the front of the school. Now, visitors to the school have to walk through the building to reach the office, which allows them close proximity to places like the school cafeteria, where children may not be as closely monitored as in a classroom. The new construction is a way of alleviating this potential safety hazard, according to members of council.
However, the plans call for a driveway to pass near the front doors, which poses another potential safety hazard, according to council.
"What I'm worried about is the ability of someone to drive right up in front of those doors," said Councilman John Ort. He explained that after the tragedies on Sept. 11, 2001, it was unsafe to construct a driveway which would allow someone to drive so close to the front of a public building.
"Unfortunately, you have to think that way these days and children seem to be a target," Ort said.
"I don't even have kids and I feel strongly about this," he added.
Mayor Ed Danneman agreed that the children's safety should come first.
"I think council should go to the next school board meeting and discuss these concerns," he urged.
The rest of council agreed that no decision could be made until they expressed their concerns to members of the school board. They decided to take no action on the permit.
"I just think we need more information before we can make a decision," said Councilwoman Linda Stein.