A fear of mosquito-borne illness caused by water left in Memorial Pool, which is closed this year for repairs, prompted city officials to pour in chlorine, a city official said Wednesday.
People contacted Streets and Parks Department personnel out of fear of the insects hatching in the water and potentially leading to cases of West Nile virus, said Justin Simpson, city recreation director.
The pool was shut down this year for repairs and chlorine was added last Friday, he said.
"There was no evidence of any animal or insect life in the water," he said. The chemical should prevent any development of insect larvae, he said.
As of Wednesday, nobody in Lycoming County has contracted the virus, according to the state Department of Health.