"I'm so glad he woke up and came out to sleep with me on the sofa," said Ashley Cagle, as she clutched her 3-year-old son in her arms.
Wrapped in blankets, she watched firefighters battle the flames shooting from the rear bedroom window of their trailer.
Her son, Joshua Cagle II, had been asleep in the bedroom about two hours before the room erupted into flames.
"He doesn't like to sleep alone, so when he woke up (he) came out to sleep with me on the sofa," Cagle said.
Cagle fell asleep on her sofa and shortly after midnight Tuesday morning woke up to the smell of smoke.
She went to the bedroom and saw fire and smoke. She grabbed her son and went to a neighbor's home for help.
"She was screaming 'my house is on fire,' " said neighbor Ashley Bryant, who dialed 911 immediately.
"I went over to see what I could do, but the flames blew out the window and the trees and wires out back had caught fire," said neighbor John Read.
The rear of the home, in the Rummings Trailer Park in Mifflin Township along Route 287, was fully involved when firefighters arrived.
According to Fire Chief Matt Fausey ,of the Citizens Hose Co. in Jersey Shore, the origin of the fire will have to be investigated.
However, Ashley Cagle said she believes it started with a space heater she was using to heat the rear bedroom due to the temperature dropping into the 40s overnight.
"I haven't turned on the main heat or even got oil yet because the furnace needs work," said Joshua Cagle, Ashley's husband who was at work at the time of the fire.
The Cagles will stay with family in Williamsport for the time being.
The couple has no renters insurance, and had not put up smoke detectors in the home since they moved in a few months ago.
Five companies answering the alarm included both Jersey Shore companies, Antes Fort, Woodward Twp. and Waterville.
The fire was brought under control within 10 minutes and no other trailers were damaged.