Fire officials said there was nothing suspicious about the fire that destroyed a house at 309 Sidney St. in South Williamsport Sunday afternoon.
Chief Inspector Al Cole, of the South Williamsport Bureau of Fire Prevention, said the fire began in the kitchen.
"At this point we aren't sure if a burner was left on by mistake or if the stove itself malfunctioned," he said, adding that the borough was assisted in its investigation by an inspector from Williamsport who was "in concurrence with our findings."
The fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, according to fire officials.
The American Red Cross has been working to find shelter for the two residents - who were not identified - and two dogs and iguana displaced by the fire.
Fire officials said the tenants found somewhere to stay Sunday night but were not certain it was a permanent housing solution. Those who wish to help should contact the local American Red Cross.