Vision workshops offered for parents
MUNCY - Dr. Marcus Myers, of the Vision & Learning Center, 112 S. Main St., will hold a free workshop from 6 to 7 tonight for parents and professionals who want to learn about children's learning-related vision problems. The workshops will teach attendees how to identify children who may have vision problems that affect reading and learning.
To register, call Karen at 546-4885.
Better Breathers support group to meet
WELLSBORO - The American Lung Association's Better Breathers, a free support group for people with lung disease, meets at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital's board room.
The free group meets the third Thursday of each month and is facilitated by cardiopulmonary therapists, featuring rotating guest speakers to cover a variety of topics. This month's guest speaker will be Ian Kearns, fitness trainer and physical therapy aide, who will discuss the benefits of isometric exercise.
No registration is necessary; walk-ins welcome. Presented in cooperation with Blue Ribbon Foundation of Blue Cross of North Eastern Pennsylvania.
For more information, call Staff Development at 723-0192.
WELLSBORO - The Tioga County Chapter of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill will present a program about bi-polar disorder from 2 to 4 p.m. Jan. Friday in the board room of Soldiers and Sailors Hospital on Grant Street.
The educational program is the first in series. Each month will feature information about a different mental illness.
For more information, call 439-1417.
OB unit tour
WELLSBORO - A free Expectant Parents class titled "Labor and Delivery," featuring a tour of the OB Unit, will be held 7 to 8:30 p.m. Jan. 22 in the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital board room.
Expectant parents will learn how to time contractions and when to come to the hospital, then tour the obstetrics unit, including the labor and delivery unit, newborn nursery and post-partum rooms.
Participants may join at any time in the six-class series. Walk-ins welcome.
For more information, call 723-0375.
TOWANDA - The practical nursing program at the Northern Tier Career Center will administer a pre-entrance exam at 8:15 a.m. Jan. 23 and Feb. 13.
For more information, or to register, call Tina at 265-8113 or email email@example.com.
Free bereavement support group to meet
WELLSBORO - A free bereavement support group will be held 10:30 a.m. to noon Jan. 23 at Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital; check for room location at front lobby.
The ongoing group meets the fourth Wednesday of each month, and the facilitator is Nicole Butters.
For more information, call 723-0760.
WELLSBORO - The Tioga County Chapter of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill will hold an informational health fair for mental health consumers from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 25 in the community room at the W.M. Tokishi Building on Nypum Drive.
Consumers must choose an appropriate health care plan before the February deadline and this event will help educate and assist those who need to make a decision.
children's health fair
SELINSGROVE - Evangelical Community Hospital will hold the 24th annual Children's Health Fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 26 at the Susquehanna Valley Mall.
The theme is "Clifford is Big on Healthy Kids," featuring Clifford the Big Red Dog.
The fair is a day filled with fun activities for parents and children focusing on the key factors of good health including eating right, exercising, taking part in health screenings and making good decisions about healthy living.
The day will feature puppet shows by Kingdom Kidz at 10:15 a.m. and 11:30, a performance from Downtown Dance at 11, Story Time with Drew and Ali from 94.1 WQKX at 12:15 p.m., and a fitness challenge at 1.
Children may bring a favorite stuffed animal or doll for a check-up by the obstetric and pediatric professionals of Evangelical Community Hospital. A free T-shirt will be given to children ages 2-10. Children must be present to receive a shirt.
Parents can earn a $5 gift card for returning a child safety seat that has either been recalled, is more than six years old, has been involved in an accident, is broken or has missing parts.
Hearing and vision screenings will be provided by The Eye Center of Central PA.
The fair is presented by Swineford National Bank with VNA Health System as a co-presenter. Program presenters are The Eye Center of Central PA and Lewisburg Gynecology and Obstetrics, PC.
For more information, call 768-3200.
ACLS recertification offered
WELLSBORO - A one-day recertification Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) class for registered nurses, physicians and paramedics will be held from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 31 in the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital conference room.
The ACLS Provider Course is designed to provide the knowledge and skills needed to evaluate and manage the first 10 minutes of an adult ventricular fibrillation-ventricular tachycardia (VF/VT) arrest.
Seating is limited. For more information or to register, call 723-0192 or visit Health Classes-Screenings at laurelhs.org.
Evangelical plans classes
LEWISBURG - Evangelical Community Hospital will hold the following classes in February:
* Prepared Childbirth - Thursdays, Feb. 21- March 21, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Community Health Education Center. A fee applies. The course guides parents and support persons through childbirth, including labor, delivery, breathing and relaxation.
* Prepared Childbirth Refresher - Call the Community Health Education Center to schedule a class. A fee applies. Refreshes parents on the basics of childbirth. Couples are provided with current labor technique information in a private setting.
* Hello Baby - 6:15-7:30 p.m. Feb. 4. at Apple Conference Rooms A&B in the rear of the dining room. Fee applies. The class teaches brothers and sisters ages 2-10 how to diaper, swaddle and hold a baby.
* Newborn Care - Mondays, Feb. 4 and 11, 7-9 p.m. or 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 9 at the Community Health Education Center. A fee applies. Teaches caregivers how to diaper, bathe and feed the baby and covers post-partum depression and care of the new mother.
* Prenatal Breastfeeding - 7-9 p.m. Feb. 25 at the Community Health Education Center. A fee applies.
* New grandparents may call 768-3200 to schedule a tour of the OB unit.
* T-Dap Clinic and Child Safety Seat Checks - Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis vaccines available free to fathers and household members 18 years of age and older of a newborn delivered at Evangelical. Have your child's safety seat checked at the Community Health Education Center. Appointments are preferred.
* First Aid with Adult/Child/Infant CPR & AED - 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 5 at the Community Health Education Center. A fee applies.
* Healthcare Provider CPR - 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 19 at the Community Health Education Center. A fee applies.
* Simple Choices, Profound Results (The Spectrum) - 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 5-March 19 at Apple Conference Rooms A&B in the rear of the dining room, or Wednesdays, 8:30-10:30 a.m. Feb. 6-March 13 at the Community Health Education Center. Learn how simple choices you make every day, such as what you eat, how you respond to stress, whether or not you smoke, how much you exercise and the quality of your relationships, can profoundly impact your health, your well-being, even your survival. The scientifically proven program to feel better, live longer and lose weight is based on the best-selling book "The Spectrum" by Dr. Dean Ornish. A fee applies, but those with Highmark insurance may attend for free.
* Eat Well for Life - 8:30-10 a.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 5-26 or 6-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 7-28 at the Community Health Education Center. This lifestyle improvement program promotes making healthy food and lifestyle choices and adopting the practices necessary to achieve a balanced lifestyle, long-term weight management and optimal health and wellness. A fee applies, but those with Highmark insurance may attend for free.
* Introduction to Carbohydrate Counting - 1-3 p.m. Feb. 6 at the Community Health Education Center. Introduction to carbohydrate counting will identify sources of carbohydrates and how they affect blood sugar control. Smaller portion sizes, consistent carbohydrate intake, meal planning and label reading will be discussed. Call Outpatient Services at 522-2893 to register in advance.
* Staying Strong: Mondays and Wednesdays, Feb. 25-April 3, 10:15-11:15 a.m. at the Community Health Education Center. A safe, fun and challenging strength training program for women of all ages. The program focuses on improving bone density, muscle strength, flexibility and balance. Light weights and body resistance are used to shape and tone your body. Equipment provided. A fee applies for the six-week session.
* Yoga - 3:30-4:45 p.m. Feb. 26 at the Community Health Education Center; or 3:45-5:15 p.m. Feb. 27 or 5:30-6:15 p.m. at the Susquehanna Valley Mall Community Zone. Reduce stress, stiffness, and fatigue. Kripalu-certified instructors are on hand for each class, making it possible to adapt postures for individual needs. The class features explanation for beginners and extension for those more advanced. A fee applies for the six-week session.
* QuitSmart - A smoking cessation program. Are you ready to kick the habit? Call 768-3200 for fees and to schedule counseling.
To register for classes, call Community Health Education at 768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com.
LEWISBURG - Community Health Education at Evangelical Community Hospital will hold the following screenings through February:
* Comprehensive Blood Screen - 8-10 a.m. Feb. 5 at the Susquehanna Valley Mall Community Zone. For a low fee, get results for a lipid panel (HDL, LDL, total cholesterol and triglycerides), complete blood count, and CMP (blood sugar, electrolytes, calcium, protein, liver enzymes etc.). Other tests available upon request.Appointments required. Call 768-3200.
* Heart Screen - 7-10 a.m. Feb. 14 at the Community Health Education Center. Appointment required. Screenings include: lipid panel (good, bad, and total cholesterol levels, triglycerides), blood pressure, body composition, cardiac risk assessment, blood oxygen saturation, and stroke assessments. Results will be reviewed by a physician and mailed to you. A 12-hour fast is required prior to the appointment.
* Free Heel Scan Clinic - 1-3 p.m. Feb. 15 at the Community Health Education Center. You qualify if you have not had a DXA scan in the past two years, have not had a heel bone density test in the past year and meet one of the following criteria: over the age of 65, post menopausal or pre-menopausal with high risk factors. Appointments required.
* Blood Pressure Screenings - 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Feb. 1, Mifflinburg Bank and Trust, Lewisburg branch; Mondays, 9 a.m.-noon, Wednesdays, noon-4 p.m. and Fridays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Community Health Education Center, Route 15, Lewisburg.
For more information, call Community Health Education at 768-3200 or visit www.evanhospital.com.
Electronics bingo planned
The Bulldog Cancer Chompers Relay for Life Team will hold an electronics bingo on Feb. 10 at the Antes Fort Fire Hall. Doors open at noon and play begins at 1 p.m.
Advance tickets are $20 and tickets at the door are $25. All proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.
Prizes include iPad, iPad mini, 32-inch TV, Wii and many others.
Tickets may be purchased in advance by calling 220-7770.