WESTFIELD - A mobile home fire that started in a malfunctioning toaster destroyed the home and left four people without a place to live or any of their belongings Saturday.
According to Crary Hose Co. Fire Chief Jeff Abbott, the Saturday evening fire destroyed the mobile home at 244 Mill Street that the Ron and Stacy Roe family were living in with their two children aged 12 and 9.
According to Abbott, Stacy Roe called the fire in after being outside and hearing a popping sound inside the trailer.
"She went in and discovered fire around the toaster, and she tried to extinguish it, but couldn't so she called it in," he said.
The toaster, which was plugged in, was not in use at the time, Abbott said.
The owner of the trailer, David Earle, also of Westfield had insurance on it but the Roe family did not have insurance on the contents.
There was one minor injury during the fire that sent one firefighter to the hospital, Abbot said.
"We had one firefighter have an aerosol can pop while he was in there and he had some ringing in his ears but otherwise there were no serious injuries," he said.
Abbott said the two dozen firefighters from Crary, Clymer Township and Knoxville-Deerfield fire departments had the fire under control by 8:30 p.m.
The family is staying with relatives in the area, he added.
The Red Cross assisted the family with food, clothing and bedding, and will follow up to determine any additional disaster needs, according to Emergency Response Specialist Katy Stine of the Northcentral Pennsylvania office of the Red Cross.
The public can help people affected by disasters like floods, fires, tornadoes and hurricanes, as well as countless crises at home and around the world, by making a donation to support American Red Cross Disaster Relief.
Each gift enables the Red Cross to prepare for and provide shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance in response to disasters.
Visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800-733-2767.
Contributions may be sent to the American Red Cross, 430 W. Orange St., Lancaster, PA, 17603 or 320 E. Third St., Williamsport, PA, 17701.