The 2013 Blue Ribbon Apple Pie baking contest will be held Aug. 29 at the Sullivan County Fair. The contest is co-sponsored by the Pennsylvania Apple Marketing Program, the state Department of Agriculture and the State Association of County Fairs.
More than 100 fairs across Pennsylvania will offer cash prizes for the best pie. Sullivan County Fair's contest is a preliminary competition that leads to the selection of the final Blue Ribbon Apple Pie winner held each January at the State Farm Show. The first place winner at the Farm Show will be awarded a cash prize of $500. Other cash prizes also will be available for the top five entries.
The rules for Sullivan County Fair's contest are as follows:
- Open to any individual who is a Pennsylvania resident; only one entry per person.
- Entrants may not have won first place in this Blue Ribbon Apple Pie Contest at any other fair in 2013.
- Entry must include at least 60 percent apples in the filling. It does not need to be a "traditional" two crusted apple pie and it can have a variety of fillings.
- The entire pie must be submitted for judging in a disposable pie pan.
- The recipe for the pie and pie crust must be submitted with the entry. It should be submitted on a standard 8.5x11- inch sheet of paper. Use one side only.
- The recipe must list all the ingredients, quantities and the preparation instructions. Entrant's name, address and phone number must be printed on the back side of all pages.
- Refrigeration is not available at the fair or Farm Show. Entries that require refrigeration after baking must indicate so in the recipe. Those entries will not be sold, auctioned or otherwise distributed for consumption after judging for food safety reasons.
Judging will be based on the following criteria:
Flavor - 30 points.
Filling: consistency, doneness, moistness and flavor - 25 points.
Crust: color, flavor, texture doneness - 20 points.
Overall appearance - 15 points.
Creativity - 10 points.
For more information on entry requirements, contact Jody Lambert, fair secretary, at 924-3843.
Also scheduled for the Sullivan County Fair is the annual homemade ice cream contest, which will be held at 3 p.m. Aug. 29. There is no entry fee, and prize money will be awarded to the top three winners. There also will be a special prize for the fastest hand crank.
- Entrants must supply all ingredients, freezer (electric or crank), ice and salt. Ice cream should be mixed in advance.
- Ice cream will be judged on taste and quality. Recipe should be submitted with entry.
- All ice cream will be judged together regardless of hand crank or electric freezer.
- Entrants must make a full freezer of strawberry ice cream.
- Electric ice cream makers may be started 30 minutes ahead to allow for setting time.
- Ice cream will be dipped and given away at the end of the contest.
To enter, register at the fair by 2 p.m. Aug. 29. Sullivan County Fair premium books are available at the Sullivan County Extension Office and the library in Dushore. Pick up a premium book, fill out the entry form contained in the book and send the entry form in to enter your home created foods in the Sullivan County Fair.
For more information, visit www.sullivancountyfair.com. or call Shirley Pardoe at 924-3753. The Sullivan County Fair will be held Aug. 28 to Sept. 2 in Forksville.