FORKSVILLE - The Sullivan County Fair is offering special prizes this year to exhibitors participating in the bread baking contest. The RED STAR Yeast Co. has donated a RED STAR oven mitt, cutting board and measuring spoons to the winners of the bread baking contest.
In addition, RED STAR Yeast has donated packets of yeast and savings coupons to give away during fair week.
To enter the bread baking contest, pick up a premium book at the Sullivan County Extension office or the Sullivan County Library in Dushore and complete the entry form. Some of the classes that you can enter are: Quick breads, yeast breads, bread machine breads, rolls, cakes, cookies and many other assorted home made products.
Look under Department 15 for a variety of classes. For more information, call the fair secretary, Jody Lambert, at 924-3843 or visit www.sullivancounty fair.com.
The fair also will host its eighth annual Chili Cook-Off contest at 1:30 p.m. Aug. 29.
There is no entry fee and first place winner will receive $25. Second place will earn $20 and third place will be awarded $15.
Contest rules are as follows:
- Registration for the Chili Cook-Off starts at 12:30 p.m. and judging will begin at 1:30 p.m.
- One chili entry per person.
- Chili should be prepared prior to the contest and brought to the fairgrounds in a crock pot. Chili will be kept hot for the duration of the judging.
- The chili can be prepared with any kind of meat or combination of meats. It may be cooked with chili peppers and/or various spices of your choice. Beans, tomatoes, onions, etc. may be used. Pasta or rice of any kind is not permitted.
- Each chili entry must be accompanied by a written list of ingredients.
- A panel of judges will determine the top three prize winners.
- After judging, all chili entries will be served to the spectators present.
For more information, call Shirley Pardoe at 924-3753. The Sullivan County Fair is Aug. 28 to Sept. 2 in Forksville.