NEW BERLIN - The Save Chris Transplant Fund, formed to help pay transplant-related expenses for a Mifflinburg woman who has cystic fibrosis (CF) and diabetes, will be more than $579 richer thanks to the annual Roushville Yard Haunt, which is New Berlin's biggest Halloween event.
"We wanted the funds to go to a local person in need," said Logan Roush, a Pennsylvania Cystic Fibrosis, Inc. (PACFI) member who also has CF and diabetes, "So our annual Yard Haunt monies will go to the Save Chris Transplant Fund."
Roush and his parents, Shawn and Kelly Roush, are also PACFI members and have been doing their Yard Haunt for the past 16 years.
Pennsylvania Cystic Fibrosis, Inc. (PACFI) members Logan Roush and his father, Shawn, organized and held the annual Roushville Yard Haunt in New Berlin that raised more than $579 for the Save Chris Transplant Fund.
Chris has been on the lung transplant list at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) for several months, and she was already rushed to UPMC last year but the available lungs couldn't be transplanted due to an infection. The average lung transplant costs about $650,000 and most insurance plans will cover about 80 percent of that, leaving the family to pay the remaining 20 percent, or about $130,000.
Those who want to contribute can send a check to the Save Chris Transplant Fund, c/o The Mifflinburg Bank and Trust Co., 250 E. Chestnut St., Mifflinburg, PA 17844.