CAMMAL - Volunteer firefighters spent more than two hours extinguishing a partition fire and checking for hot spots in one-story cabin in the 3100 block of Truman Run Road that broke out just before 3 a.m. Sunday.
Two Lock Haven students staying at the cabin during the weekend awoke in time to safely escape the fire, said Matt Fausey, of Citizen's Hose Co.
"This could have been a very tragic situation," Fausey said, adding there were no smoke alarms in the cabin.
It is believed that a cracked flue may have sparked the fire that started in a fireplace and spread to the partition, Fausey said.
Firefighters from Cammal, Waterville and Jersey Shore along with crews from Clinton and Tioga counties responded to the fire, which caused very minimal damage to the living quarters of the cabin, Fausey said.
He estimated damage at about $3,500.
Fires ruled arson, accidental
The fire that extensively damaged a kitchen in a Hepburn Street home on Thursday has been ruled accidental, according to city Fire Chief C. Dean Heinbach.
An oven left on to help heat the home of Beth Ann Morehouse and her son, Grant, at 1053 Hepburn St., ignited nearby combustibles about 3:15 p.m., Heinbach said.
It is a city code violation for any renter or homeowner to use an oven as a heat source, Heinbach said.
"It's very dangerous too," he said.
Damage was estimated at $25,000.
Concerning another city fire, investigators have ruled that the Sept. 29 blaze that destroyed a home at 834 First St., where four adults rented individual rooms, was arson, Heinbach said. All the occupants escaped, but one, the house manager, suffered smoke inhalation.