TOWANDA - An evening fire destroyed a home on Burlington Turnpike, Towanda Township, Friday.
According to Towanda Fire Department First Assistant Chief Bill Sheets, the call came in between 8:30 and 9 p.m.
Sheets said when he arrived on scene there was "heavy fire blowing out of most of the windows" of the single-story wood frame home.
Sheetz said he thought the fire was accidental and started in the kitchen but could not say what caused it.
The owner of house was Gyla Sites, who lived there.
According to Sheets, seven people lived in the house, including two children, but no names or ages of residents were available.
All occupants of the house got out safely and there were no injuries, he added.
Sheets said the building had a steel roof on it and it made it hard to ventilate the building.
Between two and three dozen firefighters from five companies were on scene about three hours.
Sheets did not put a dollar value on the loss, but the owner had insurance, he said.
Also responding to the scene were the North Towanda, Wysox, Monroeton, and Franklindale fire departments and Wysox Emergency Medical Services and Memorial EMS.
The Bradford-Sullivan chapter of the American Red Cross provided the family with food, lodging, clothing, and shoes and will follow-up with the family for additional services, as needed, according to a Red Cross press release.