BODINES - A dog perished in a house fire that displaced a husband and wife Monday morning at Lower Bodines and DuBois Hollow roads, about fives miles south of Ralston in Lewis Township, according to fire Chief John Orr of the Ralston Volunteer Fire Co.
Ed and Cathy Oliver were not home when their residence, a trailer with several additions, went up in flames, possibly as a result of their wood stove located in the back of the residence, Orr said.
Seeing smoke from Route 14, less than a quarter mile away, a passerby reported the fire at 9:40 a.m.
When fire companies from Ralston and Trout Run first arrived at the scene they found smoke coming from all sides of the house and flames coming from the back, Orr said.
Also at the scene were fire companies from Hepburn, Old Lycoming, Eldred and Plunkets Creek townships, as well as the DuBoistown fire department.
Orr said it took about an hour to get the fire under control and the better part of two hours to put it out completely.
Though Orr could not estimate the damages, he said the fire caused a total loss. He added the home was insured.
Ed and Cathy Oliver sought shelter with a relative nearby, Orr confirmed.