Football roundup: Huntingdon outscores Central Mountain

The fourth time was the charm for Huntingdon Friday night.

The Bearcats scored on two fourth down plays in the first half, eventually playing spoiler to Central Mountain’s homecoming, despite a spirited comeback by the Wildcats, with a 56-41 win over the host.

Mitchell Lauer was responsible for the first fourth down score, rushing in from seven yards out to cap a 51-yard six-play drive to open the game. Lauer also rumbled in from two yards out for the Bearcats’ second score.

Huntingdon (3-3) ended the first quarter up 21 points, and ended the half with a 35-7 lead. But with a whole half still to play, Central Mountain focused on simply winning the next two quarters.

The Wildcats (1-5) received a gift after fumbling the opening kickoff of the second half when Huntingdon returned the favor with a fumble on its first play. The turnover was quickly turned into points as Hunter Weaver and Nigel English combined to rush for 45 yards on five carries on the drive. English, who also posted three sacks in the game, finished the drive with an eight-yard carry.

After a sloppy first half filled with penalties and turnovers, Central Mountain scored on five of its first six possessions of the second half.

North Penn 48, Cowanesque Valley 24

At Westfield, Luke Kelly blocked two punts, Bryce Zaparzynski went over 100 yards rushing and receiving, and North Penn scored 4 TDs in a 4-minute span in the first and second quarters in beating Cowanesque Valley.

Brandon Whitesell ran 30 times for 214 yards in defeat.

Shikellamy 50, WR 0

At Turbotville, Shikellamy scored six times in the first half and outgained Warrior Run 355-122 in a shutout victory.

William Michael led Warrior Run with 52 yards on 16 carries.

Canton 16, Sayre 6

At Canton, A strong defensive effort and overcoming some early mistakes were the keys, as Canton earned a 16-6 victory over the Sayre Redkins Friday night.

Canton was forced to punt in its first series after a sack by Sayre’s Jeremy Kyc, but near disaster struck for the Redskins when they were forced to punt on their first series and the snap went over punter JP Harbst’s head. That put the Warriors at the Redskins’ 5-yard line but Canton returned the favor when Malachi Washington fumbled the ball right back to Sayre.

On the Redskins’ first play, though, Kyc was tackled by Trevor Route for the safety, giving Canton an 2-0 lead at the 7:44 mark of the first quarter. The lead held.