Local roundup: PC baseball falls in ninth to Muhlenberg
Muhlenberg scored a run in the bottom of the ninth to walk-off with a 6-5 win over Penn College on Monday at Diamond Nation in Flemington, N.J. The Wildcats jumped out to a 3-0 lead after the third inning.
Williamsport graduate Noah Esposito plated Ben Flicker with a single in the second, before Nathaniel Lowe scored on an error in the third and Brittain Kittle knocked in Evan Vigna with a single. After Muhlenberg scored five straight runs, Cody Cline tied the game at five in the eighth with a two-run single that scored both Kittle and Vigna.
• In college softball, for the second straight year, Morgan Kunes has started the season with a huge offensive week, helping her earn the MAC Commonwealth’s Player of the Week award. Kunes led Lycoming to a 7-2 week in South Carolina while batting .452 with 14 hits, including eight extra-base hits, 11 runs scored, nine RBIs and a .528 on-base percentage. Kunes recorded a .839 slugging percentage with five doubles, two triples and a home run during the nine-game swing.
• In women’s lacrosse, after notching seven points during a three-game week, midfielder Jordan Lazarich has earned her second career MAC Commonwealth Offensive Player of the Week award. Lazarich led the Warriors during a 1-1 week, posting four goals, three assists, nine draw controls, six ground balls and a caused turnover.
• In boys tennis, Milton opened its season with a 3-2 win over Selinsgrove. Kyle Wagner picked up a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles and the Black Panthers swept in doubles.
Muhlenberg 6, PC 5
PCT 012 000 020- 5 7 4
Muhlenberg 000 022 101- 6 11 3
Brad Walter, Max Blair (6th) and Brittan Kittle. Kaasten, D’Ambrosia (7th), Bunero (8th) and Riebesell. W- Bunero (1-0). L- Blair (0-1).
Top Penn College hitters: Ben Flicker 2-4 2B, R, RBI, SB; Brittan Kittle 2-4 R; Evan Vigna 0-2 2 R. Top Muhlenberg hitters: Icaza 3-4 2B, R; Yohe 2-4 2B, RBI, R; Riebesell 1-5 2 RBI; Vazquez 2-4 RBI, R.
Record: Penn College (5-4)
Milton 3, Selinsgrove 2
1. Steven Pomykalski (S) def. Andy McNeal 6-1, 6-3; 2. Noah Wise (S) def. Cody Greenaway 6-0, 6-2; 3. Kyle Wagner (M) def. Asher Stuck 6-0, 6-2.
1. Matt Strong/Aiden Yoder (M) def. Jack Ryneawson Connor Shaffer 6-6 (7-4 TB), 6-3; 2. Brent Artley/Cole Geiger (M) def. Nick Thompson/Liam Finnerty 6-4, 6-4.
Next: Milton at Mifflinburg (Wed.)