Local roundup: District 4 team tennis tourney begins Tuesday
The District 4 team tennis tournament is set to begin on Tuesday at both Williamsport and Hughesville.
No. 1 seeded Loyalsock, which ended the regular season as the district’s only undefeated Class AA team at 15-0, has a bye into the quarterfinals and will play either Cowanesque or Bucktail, which play at Williamsport at noon.
In the other quarterfinal at Williamsport on Tuesday, Montoursville plays Hughesville at 2 p.m.
Loyalsock’s match is scheduled for a 4 p.m. start.
The two matches set at Hughesville are Wellsboro vs. Jersey Shore and Milton vs. Montgomery at 1 and 3 p.m., respectively.
Montgomery ended the year 14-2 and Wellsboro was 12-2. Both Montoursville and Hughesville ended the regular season with 14-3 records, Jersey Shore finished 12-5, Milton 12-6, Bucktail 9-6 and Cowanesque Valley was 8-6.
The semifinals are scheduled at Muncy and Hughesville Tuesday, Oct. 17, both at 1 p.m. The district championship is set for 3:30 p.m. that afternoon.
Hughesville won last year’s team title in Class AA.
• Larissa Motts scored twice and Kate Lipski added another to lead Mansfield past Newberry (S.C.) in neutral site, non-conference action.
Mansfield (6-6, 1-3 PSAC) struck early with back-to-back goals from Lipski and Motts to take an early 2-0 lead. Lipski scored the first in the fourth minute, taking a penalty corner pass from Amber Prince and placing the ball past the keeper and into the cage from 10 yards out.
• Dan Bewersdorff scored twice, including the game-winner in the second overtime period as Lancaster Bible defeated Penn College, 2-1, in men’s soccer.
Mike Gonzalez scored off a Gerry Lua assist for the Wildcats in the 76th minute to tie the game.
• Penn College’s women’s soccer team battled to a 0-0 double overtime draw against Lancaster Bible in a North Eastern Athletic Conference match Sunday. The Wildcats are now 4-6-2 overall and 2-2-1 in the NEAC.
• Bucknell women’s volleyball team went on the road the day after a loss and responded with a big win in a Patriot League match at Loyola (Md.), defeating the Greyhounds 3-1 (25-23, 21-25, 25-22, 25-23).
• In men’s tennis, Lycoming senior Rob Smith won 8-6 at No. 2 singles, but the Warriors lost to FDU-Florham, 8-1. Smith has four singles wins this year, tied with senior Alhoun Lundy.
• Lycoming senior Kaitlin Hallabuk won both her singles and doubles matches but playing with just five players, the Lycoming College women’s tennis team fell to FDU-Florham, 6-3, in a non-conference match.
• After a day filled with some outstanding golf, the Bucknell men’s squad fell one stroke short and finished second to Wayne State at the Bucknell Invitational. Led by a 3-under-par 67 from J.P. Raftery, the Bison closed with a 1-over 281 team score, the best in the field all weekend.
(Tuesday, Oct. 10)
Cowanesque Valley vs. Bucktail, at Williamsport, noon.
(Tuesday, Oct. 10)
Loyalsock vs. CV/Bucktail winner, at Williamsport, 4 p.m.
Montoursville vs. Hughesville, at Williamsport, 2 p.m.
Wellsboro vs. Jersey Shore, at Hughesville, 1 p.m.
Milton vs. Montgomery, at Hughesville, 3 p.m.
(Tuesday, Oct. 17)
Loyalsock/CV-Bucktail winner vs. Montoursville/Hughesville winner, at Muncy, 1 p.m.
Wellsboro/Jersey Shore winner vs. Milton/Montgomery winner, at Hughesville, 1 p.m.
(Tuesday, Oct. 17)
Teams TBD, at Muncy, 3:30 p.m.
Lancaster Bible 2,
Penn College 1 (2 OT)
Lancaster Bible 1 0 0 1 — 2
Penn College 0 1 0 0 — 1
LB–Dan Bewersdorff, 19:47. PCT–Mike Gonzalez (Gerry Lua), 75:53. LB–Bewersdorff (Jared Jordan), 113:29.
Shots: LB 21, PCT 10. Corners: LB 11, PCT 3. Saves: LB (Thiago Naque), PCT (Malcolm Kane).
Records; Penn College (4-8).
Lancaster Bible 0,
Penn College 0 (2 OT)
Lancaster Bible 0 0 0 0 — 0
Penn College 0 0 0 0 — 0
Shots: LB 15, PCT 9. Corners: LB 3, PCT 3. Saves: LB (Kendra Brown), PCT (Taylor Gonzalez).
Records; Penn College (3-6-2).
1 Maxwell Macowitz (FDU) def. Mitch Wheary, 8-0; 2. Rob Smith (L) def. Kevin Weller, 8-6; 3. Chris Ly (FDU0 def. Son Phan, 8-0; 4. Tyler Schacher (FDU) de.f Alhoun Lundy, 8-2; 5. Chris Fiorenzo (FDU) def. Spencer Pedersen, 8-1; 6. Steven Serras (FDU0 def. Duc Dang, 8-0.
1. Mascowitz/Heller (FDU) def. Wheary/Smith, 8-3; 2 Florenzo/Schacher (FDU) def. Phan/Lundy, 8-1; 3 Ly/Serras (FDU0 def. Pedersen/Dang, 8-1.
Records: Lycoming (3-4).
1 Nicole DelRosso (FDU) def. Devinity Apollon, 8-4; 2 Hannah Summerson (L) def. Kira Bradley, 8-4; 3 Kaitlin Hallabuk (L) def. Christine Kinny, 8-4; 4 Allyson Wolf (FDU) def. Julia Nagle, 8-2; 5 Mia Cappizoli (FDU) def. Kimberleigh Parroccini, 8-4; 6 Pamela Russo (FDU) by forfeit.
1 Appollon/Hallabuk (L) def. Russo/Wolf, 8-0; 2 DelRosso/Kenny (FDU) def. Summerson/Nagle, 8-6; 3 Fidelle El-Asmar/Brooke Dorsey (FDU) by forfeit.
Records: Lycoming (5-3).