Local roundup: Williamsport girls defeat Shamokin
Williamsport scored two unanswered goals to beat previously undefeated Shamokin, 2-1, in girls soccer on Thursday afternoon.
After Shamokin took a 1-0 lead, Williamsport scored four minutes later on a set piece by Kailee Helmrich. Helmrich then assisted Mallory Pardoe in the 67th minute to put the Millionaires ahead, 2-1.
Adelia Engel recorded eight saves for Williamsport.
Tierney Patterson recorded 13 saves, but North Penn-Mansfield fell at home to Athens in a Northern Tier contest, 8-0. Athens held a 4-0 lead at the half.
Libby Fortin recorded a hat trick to help Hughesville defeat Danville, 4-3. Sophia Clark and Madilyn Paulhamus both had assists and Makenzie Leitenberger added a goal.
The Spartans out-shot Danville, 15-6, to improve to 3-1.
• Lewisburg blanked Selinsgrove, 5-0, in boys soccer. Philip Permyashkin recorded a hat trick in the final 10 minutes of the first half.
Alfred Romano and Darrien Svilokos also scored for Lewisburg. Romano and Ian McKinney both had two assists.
Northeast Bradford beat North Penn-Liberty, 6-2, thanks to four second-half goals. Jackson Brion and Caiden Alexander both scored for the Mounties and Alexander added an assist.
Todd Modispaw scored with five minutes remaining in the first half to put Muncy ahead, but Millville scored twice in a four-minute span midway through the second half en route to a 2-1 victory over the Indians.
Bode Hart assisted Modispaw’s goal. Eli Slamka had 12 saves for Muncy.
Jersey Shore boys soccer fell to Danville, 1-0, in overtime. Dameon White scored off a deflection with 3:11 left in overtime.
Both teams had five shots on goal and two corners. The Bulldogs head to South Williamsport for a game on Monday.
• In girls tennis, Hughesville defeated Loyalsock, 3-2. Kylie Kilgore won at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-1 for Hughesville over Anna Hall. Destini Flowers earned a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles for the Spartans. Loyalsock’s Mia Blas won 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2 singles.
Central Mountain defeated Williamsport, 4-1. The Wildcats’ Kati Kwiatek won at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-1. Williamsport’s win came at No. 3 singles where Abby Robertson won, 6-0, 6-2 over Zeta Blesh.
Jersey Shore beat Milton in a doubleheader, 5-0, in both matches. The wins improve the Bulldogs to 8-1.
Peyton Dincher beat Brooklyn Wade in the first match, 6-2, 6-1, and second match, 6-1, 6-2, both at No. 1 singles.
• St. John Neumann’s club soccer team defeated New Covenant Academy in both girls and boys competition. The Neumann girls won, 2-1, as senior Kylie Cendoma scored twice. The boys won, 6-4, thanks to a five-goal effort from senior Brady McKimpson. Andrew Mitchell added an assist.
• Second-half goals by sophomores Kelsey Robertson and Kalin Duke led the Mansfield University field hockey team to double overtime against Bloomsburg, but the Huskies outshot the Mounties, 1-0, in the shootout period to earn a 3-2 non-conference victory.
The Mounties (3-2 overall) and the Huskies (3-2 overall) missed each of their first three shootout attempts, but Bloomsburg’s Alicia Carr converted her attempt and MU could not find the back of the net to close out the game.
• Freshman Rei Saar, a Montoursville graduate, won her first dual meet singles match for the Lycoming College women’s tennis team, but Susquehanna posted an 8-1 non-conference win.
Saar defeated Susquehanna’s Eliza Mahoney, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 5 singles, as she leads the Warriors with a 3-1 singles mark after also reaching the MAC Individual Championship semifinals last week.
Williamsport 2, Shamokin 1
S–K. Neice, 28:00. W–Kailee Helmrich, 32:00. W–Mallory Pardoe (Helmrich), 67:00.
Shots: W 19, S 9. Corners: W 8, S 0. Saves: W 8, (Adelia Engel), S (Delilah Nazeih).
Records: Williamsport (3-0). Next game: Bellefonte at Williamsport, Saturday, 11 a.m.
Athens 8, N.P.-Mansfield 0
A–Addy Wheeter (Hannah Walker), 2:36. A–Walker, 11:59. A–Ally Thoman (Walker), 14:46. A–Taylor Fisher (penalty kick), 21:25. A–Walker, 48:34. A–Thoman (Walker), 61:25. A–Walker (Thoman), 62:28. A–Thoman, 64:19.
Shots: A 21, NPM 16. Corners: A 5, NPM 2. Saves: A 16 (Karlee Barlow 8, Carmelita Pomaquiza 8), NPM 13 (Tierney Patterson).
Hughesville 4, Danville 3
H–Libby Fortin (Sophia Clark), 38:41. H–Fortin, 35:32. D–Lucy Pickle (Chloe Huffman), 32:12. H–Fortin, 38:59. H–Makenzi Leitenberger (Madilyn Paulhamus), 27:48. D–Huffman, 16:37. D–Cara Thompson (Lauren Wall), 13:22.
Shots: H 15, D 6. Corners: H 5, D 2. Saves: H 3 (Bailey Gavitt), D 11.
Records: Hughesville (3-1). Next game: Line Mountain at Hughesville, Saturday, 2 p.m.
Lewisburg 5, Selinsgrove 0
L–Alfred Romano (Ian McKinney), 38:20. L–Darrien Svilokos (Romano), 37:51. L–Philip Permyashkin (Romano), 10:33. L–Permyashkin (McKinney), 2:42. L–Permyashkin (Eddie Monaco), 0:04.
Shots: L 14, S 4. Corners: L 5, S 2. Saves: L 4 (Tony Burns), S 7 (Jonah Erb).
NEB 6, N.P.-Liberty 2
NPL goals: Caiden Alexander 1, Jackson Brion 1. NPL assists: Caiden Alexander 1. NEB goals: Stanton 2, Merritt 1, Perkins 1, TEAM 2.
Shots: NPL 12, NEB 9. Corners: NPL 0, NEB 3. Saves : NPL 10 (Stettson), NEB 5 (Cooper).
Millville 2, Muncy 1
Mu–Todd Modispaw (Bode Hart), 34:42. Mi–I. Ludwig, 58:08. Mi–L. Evans, 62:00.
Shots: Mu 8, Mi 14. Corners: Mu 3, Mi 10. Saves: Mu 12 (Eli Slamka), Mi 7.
Records: Muncy (2-4).
Hughesville 3, Loyalsock 2
1. Kylie Kilgore (H) def. Anna Hall, 6-2, 6-1; 2. Mia Blas (L) def. Gina Budman, 6-2, 6-4; 3. Destini Flowers (H) def. Maggie Ryder, 6-3, 6-3.
1. Maddie Hall/Izzy Dadzie (L) def. Breanna Bobak/Daylan Randall, 6-3, 6-4; 2. Annaka Bruder/Sarah Buck (H) def. Kinjal Bhagat/Chloe Kennedy, 2-6, 6-0, 7-5.
Central Mountain 4,
1. Kati Kwiatek (CM) def. Ally McCann, 6-2, 6-1; 2. Claire Long (CM) def. Kayla Bloch, 6-2, 6-4; 3. Abby Robertson (W) def. Zeta Blesh, 6-0, 6-2.
1. Ellie Gundy/Bree Weaver (CM) def. Emma Campbell/Chloe Campbell, 7-6, 2-6, 10-7; 2. Teresa Temple/Jaylyn Tripp (CM) def. Natalie Huggins/Emlyn Kinley, 6-3, 7-5.
Records: Central Mountain (5-3).
Jersey Shore 5, Milton 0
1. Peyton Dincher (JS) def. Brooklyn Wade, 6-2, 6-1; 2. Celia Shemory (JS) def. Lydia Crawford, 6-3, 6-0; 3. Haley Shadle (JS) def. Jordyn Aunkst, 6-3, 6-1.
1. Rahel Hartman/Breanna Porter (JS) def. Addison Agola/Aubree Carl, 6-3, 6-0; 2. Ella Gerst/Madelyn Gerst (JS) by default.
Jersey Shore 5, Milton 0
1. Peyton Dincher (JS) def. Brooklyn Wade, 6-1, 6-2; 2. Celia Shemory (JS) def. Lydia Crawford, 6-0, 6-1; 3. Haley Shadle (JS) def. Jordyn Aunkst, 6-0, 6-0.
1. Rahel Hartman/Breanna Porter (JS) def. Addison Agola/Aubree Carl, 6-1, 6-3; 2. Ella Gerst/Madelyn Gerst (JS) by default.
Records: Jersey Shore (8-1).