Local roundup: Montgomery girls tennis advances to D4 team tournament semis
Montgomery was the only local team to advance to the District 4 girls tennis team tournament semifinals. The Red Raiders beat Bucktail, 3-0, to advance to face Selinsgrove. The Seals beat Jersey Shore, 3-2.
On the top half of the bracket, Danville beat Hughesville, 3-2, and Central Columbia beat Loyalsock, 3-0.
Montgomery will face Selinsgrove today at 1 p.m. at South Williamsport. The finals will be at Williamsport at 3 p.m.
• Hayden Swinehart tied the game in the second half on a penalty kick then scored the game-winner in overtime as South Williamsport won an exciting boys soccer game over Benton, 2-1.
Brock Weaver recorded four saves for the Mounties.
Williamsport defeated Montoursvilel, 4-2, in its senior night at Balls Mills. Jimmy Pombor had a hat trick and Connor Poole had a goal for the Millionaires.
Muncy’s Loudon Boring scored twice and Rocco Pepper added a goal in Muncy’s 3-0 win against Montgomery. Eli Slamka had eight saves.
Ben Potter and Alex Brown both scored twice as Warrior Run defeated Jersey Shore, 5-2.
Mike Finnegan scored in the second half off a Nick Trevouledes assist, but Southern Columbia scored with 40 seconds left to force overtime before winning in overtime to beat the Spartans, 2-1.
Jonah Strobel came up with five saves to help Milton preserve a shutout in a double overtime scoreless draw against Central Columbia. The Black Panthers fired 17 shots on goal in the contest, but couldn’t put one past Central Columbia keeper Maddix Karns.
• North Penn-Mansfield fell to Northeast Bradford, 4-0. Tierney Patterson had another solid contest in goal by recording 30 saves. Northeast Bradford led 3-0 at halftime.
The 30-save effort puts Patterson just 15 saves shy from reaching 500 for her career.
• In girls field hockey, Muncy beat Northwest, 1-0. Kaylyn Nierzwicki had a goal on a corner assisted by Lacy Eckward with under a minute left in the second quarter.
• In girls volleyball, Oswayo Valley beat Galeton, 3-0 (25-9, 25-23, 25-13). Lauren Sauley had 10 assists and 14 digs for Galeton. Johanna Dickerosn had eight assists, three digs and three aces. Both Alli Macensky and Olivia Rohrbaugh had nine kills each.
• In men’s soccer, Mason Beaver scored to cut the deficit to one goal, but Susquehanna’s Olivier Mathieu scored in the 83rd minute to lift the River Hawks to a 3-1 win in men’s soccer.
• Bucknell forward Rylee Donaldson tallied her Patriot League-leading ninth goal of the season midway through the first half, but Sarah Bayer put Loyola on level terms 10 minutes later, and the two teams finished in a 1-1 draw in women’s soccer.
• Abby Burdyn and Evelyn Ciaccia scored for Lock Haven, but the Bald Eagles lost a close contest to Millersville, 3-2, in women’s soccer. The game was tied 2-2 late before Millersville scored in the 87th minute.
• In women’s field hockey, sophomore Alex Esterling scored twice and sophomore August Lewis secured her second straight shutout to lead Mansfield University to a 2-0 PSAC upset-victory over No. 10 Indiana.
Muncy 3, Montgomery 0
Mu–Rocco Pepper (Bode Hart), 8:07. Mu–Loudon Boring (Xavier Bloodgood), 17:15. Mu–Boring (Rowan Revata), 74:19.
Shots: Mu 14, Mo 8. Corners: Mu 6, Mo 1. Saves: Mu 8 (Eli Slamka), Mo 11.
South Williamsport 2, Benton 1
B–Bryce Getz (Josh Fisher), 4:00. SW–Hayden Swinehart (penalty kick), 33:00. SW–Swinehart, 7:25.
Shots: B 5, SW 3. Corners: B 3, SW 5. Saves: B 1 (Matt Foley), SW 4 (Brock Weaver).
Warrior Run 5,
Jersey Shore 2
Warrior Run goals: Ben Potter 2, Alex Brown 2, Nathan Axtman 1. Warrior Run assists: Brown 1, Potter 1, Axtman 1, Luke Mattox 1. Jersey Shore goals: Pete Bellomo 1, Connor Cornelius 1.
Shots: WR 6, JS 5. Corners: WR 5, JS 2. Saves: WR 3 (J. Yoder), JS 0.
Southern Columbia 2, Hughesville 1
H–Mike Finnegan (Nick Trevouledes), 16:01. SC–Joey Singley (Alex Morrison), 0:40. SC–Singley (Jimmy Bender), 9:24.
Shots: H 2, SC 10. Corners: H 1, SC 7. Saves: H 8 (Jarrett Easton), SC 1 (Savich Chapman)
JV score: Southern, 2-1.
Milton 0, Central Columbia 0 (2 OT)
Shots: M 17, CC 6. Corners: M 7, CC 1. Saves: M 5 (Jonah Strobel), CC 9 (Maddix Karns).
Northeast Bradford 4, N.P.-Mansfield 0
NEB–Becca Vandermark (Maisie Neuber), 8:11. NEB–Kierra Thoman (Melanie Shumway corner), 20:05. NEB–Melanie Shumway, 33:18. NEB–Thoman (Shumway), 48:17.
Shots: NPM 5, NEB 34. Corners: NPM 1, NEB 5. Saves: NPM 30 (Tierney Patterson), NEB 5 (Ciana Frisbie).