Eagle Scout’s program aims to preserve Jersey Shore history
JERSEY SHORE — When towns were settled, people needed to find places to bury their dead. Jersey Shore was no different and cemeteries were established.
Looking to give the gravestones and original Jersey Shore settlers a dedicated space in the cemetery, Tina Cooney, of The Preservation League of Jersey Shore, pitched the project idea to Boy Scout Troop 115. In need of an Eagle Scout project, Alex Butzler collaborated with Cooney and the Jersey Shore Cemetery Association was established.
One of the earlier cemeteries in Jersey Shore was built in 1832 at Richmond Park on Broad Street. This worked well until the town grew and a larger cemetery was needed. In 1863, town leaders designated the hill on Locust Street as the new cemetery.
In the beginning of June, Butzler coordinated a day for volunteers to move gravestones from the embankment to the display site. The Scouts began work on constructing the display area and each gravestone was measured, identified, cataloged and cleaned.
Coordinating another workday with Jersey Shore High School boy’s soccer team and the Jersey Shore Preservation League volunteers, Butzler finished construction of the display and arranged the tombstones.
The tombstones can be visited at the Jersey Shore Cemetery during open hours at the eastern end of the cemetery.
For more information, visit The Preservation League of Jersey Shore on Facebook.