Causes determined in some recent fires

Last week’s kitchen fire at the home of John and Pamela Calhoun, 1609 Elmira St., will remain undetermined, city Fire Platoon Chief Sam Aungst said Thursday.

No one was home when a neighbor saw smoke coming from the house about 3:50 p.m. on Jan. 5, Aungst said. While the fire was confined to the kitchen, there was heavy smoke damage throughout the home, he said. No damage estimate has yet been determined, he added.

Woodward Township Fire Chief Richard Whalen said the $1.5 million blaze that leveled Pine Run Truck Repair on Pine Run Road three days before Christmas has been ruled accidental and likely sparked by an oil burner. Whalen said Cpl. Nicholas Loffredo, a state police fire marshal, determined the cause of the fire.

Concerning a third fire in the region, a neighbor was credited with dousing a small fire that involved a fish tank in a closet at 1719 Randall Circle about 6:45 p.m. on Jan. 5, according to Loyalsock Township fire officials. There was no structural damage to the apartment, officials said.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today