Six motorists charged with DUI

When city police arrived at the crash scene at Third and Market streets in the city about 2:30 a.m. Feb. 27, one of the drivers involved, Sophia Hayes, 22, of 211 Williams Lane, Jersey Shore, admitted that she had had “several drinks,” according to an affidavit. She said the damage to her 2008 Subaru Impreza was due to striking a stopped vehicle in front of her, but that motorist took off after being hit, police were told.

Hayes, who was unsteady on her feet, refused to perform field sobriety tests and told the officer all she wanted to do was go home, police said. She did submit a blood test that revealed her blood-alcohol concentration level was .30, police said. Charged with DUI, she is free on bail.

In another case, after fleeing the scene of a crash at High and Grier streets about 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 30, William Dalton Welch, 45, of 2252 W. Third St., admitted to a city police officer “I messed up, I know I shouldn’t have been driving,” according to an affidavit.

After Welch struck a woman’s car, the other driver followed him to 244 Brandon Place and called police, court records stated. Once an officer arrived on the scene, the woman, whose identity was not released, pointed to the alleged hit-run driver, Welch, who was sitting on the front porch at the Brandon Place property.

“He struggled to stand up and stumbled as he walked towards me,” an officer said of Welch in the affidavit. “I instantly smelled the odor of alcohol,” coming from Welch, who admitted to having “a couple drinks, the officer said. His blood-alcohol concentration level was .23, police said. Charged with DUI, Welch is free on bail.

In another case, James Shaylor Jr., 35, of 8338 Lycoming Creek Road, Cogan Station, also admitted to a state trooper to having “a couple of drinks” when he was stopped for speeding on Interstate 180 in Montoursville about 1:15 a.m. on Dec. 1, according to an affidavit. His 2006 Honda Pilot also was weaving “back and forth from the fog line to centerline,” police said, adding that Shaylor showed “a slow response to my emergency lights and siren,” the trooper wrote in the court document.

Charged with DUI (his second such arrest in 10 years), speeding and careless driving, Shaylor, who refused to submit a blood test, is free on $5,000 bail.

In another case, as she struggled with South Williamsport police who were attempting to a take into custody for DUI about 12:30 a.m. on Feb. 18, Samantha Albert, 25, of 2200 Lycoming Creek Road, suite C, again and again pulled herself to the ground, according to an affidavit. “While on the ground, she defecated in her pants,” an officer at the scene said.

Driving a 2010 Hyundai station wagon, Albert was seen nearly striking a concrete barrier on the Maynard Street bridge, police said. “I detected a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage” from the woman’s vehicle, an officer said in the court document, adding that during a series of field sobriety tests, Albert “displayed a sufficient number of clues of impairment.” With a blood-alcohol concentration level of .28, she was charged with DUI and resisting arrest. She is free on $7,500 bail.

In another case, Daniel Dale Getgen, 64, of 2325 Riverside Drive, South Williamsport, who was stopped by South Williamsport police in the 2000 block of Riverside Drive in the borough about 10:30 p.m. admitted he had “one beer,” according to an affidavit. He was stopped because he was driving without his lights on, police said. “I could smell a strong odor of alcohol, and Getgen’s eyes were glassy and watery,” an officer wrote in the court document.

“He showed a significant number of clues of impairment,” the officer said of Getgen, who refused to submit a blood test. He too defecated in his pants, police said. Charged with DUI and a summary violation, Getgen is free on $15,000 bail.

In another case, Courtney Ann Linn, 40, of 2701 Blair St., was charged with DUI following an incident at 1579 Maybee Hill Road in Loyalsock Township, where state troopers were called to check on the welfare of a family member on the night of Oct. 12, 2020. At the time, Linn was living there.

When state troopers arrived, a juvenile family member reported that he was riding home with Linn when she allegedly struck him. The juvenile also reported that Linn “had been drinking,” police said in an affidavit. While troopers were questioning her, Linn “started yelling and became uncooperative. She said get a warrant or get out of her house,” court records stated. Linn was “very confused and was unsteady on her feet. I detected an odor of alcoholic beverage on her breath,” a trooper wrote in the court document.

The hood to Linn’s Mazda “was still warm to the touch,” the trooper said. Linn declined to perform field sobriety tests and also refused to provide a blood sample once she was taken into custody. She has since waived her preliminary hearing and is free on $5,000 bail.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today