Area teams advance to Odyssey of the Mind states
Seven area teams who placed in the regional competition are slated to compete at the state finals of the Odyssey of the Mind this year.
Odyssey of the Mind is a creative problem-solving program, where teams select a problem, work together to create a solution which is then presented during a competition against other teams in the same problem and division.
“Because of the COVID situation our state finals tournament is a virtual one and judging occurs over multiple days,” said Karyl Otruba, Northcentral PA co-regional director of Odyssey of the Mind.
Otruba noted that results from the state finals will be available after the awards ceremony held April 19. Winners from the state competition will then move on to the World Finals, which this year will be held virtually and in-person. The virtual competition will be from April 30 to May 29. In-person World Finals will be held June 11 and 12 at Orlando, Fla.
Regional winners who will be competing in the state competition are:
• Loyalsock Township Middle School – first place Problem 1 Div. 2, Omer the roMer (vehicle problem)
Coach – Tatum Heiser
Team: Katherine Heiser, Julia Ellis, Aadi Patel, Dakota Fluck, Preston Heiser, Maria Pardoe, Lincoln Patchett
• Loyalsock Township Middle School – first place Problem 5 Div. 2, Superhero Sock: A Cliffhanger Beginning (theatrical problem)
Coach – Chris Edwards
Team: Alex Edwards, Gracie Wolf, Simone Gehr, Natalie Pearson, Rebecca Winter
• Schick Elementary School – first place Problem 2 Div. 1, Virtual Odyssey (technical problem)
Coach – Robert Belvin
Team: Jaiveer Basi, Theodore Cappel, Maryn Fry, Jael Gilbert, Kinsley Hall, James Belvin
• Schick Elementary School – first place Problem 3 Div 1, OMER and the Beanstalk (classics problem)
Coach – Paul Roma
Team: Chloe Lewis, Sloane Mazzuillo, Kaia Stubanas, Scarlett Roma, Violet Trapkus
• Curtin Intermediate School – first place Problem 3 Div. 2, OMER and the Beanstalk (classics problem)
Coach – Spring Moore
Team: Lynnae Campbell, Ava Carter, Cooper Gutberlet, Lily Hamilton, Asher McClelland, Daniel Turner
• Curtin Intermediate School – first place Problem 5 Div. 1, Superhero Socks: A Cliffhanger Beginning (theatrical problem)
Coach – April Frank
Team: Emily Frank, Taylor Rockey, Cooper Gutberlet, Alex Vail, Reayden Harpster, Chaedyn Lockard
• Muncy Schools – second place Problem 5 Div. 1, Superhero Socks: A Cliffhanger Beginning (theatrical problem)
Coach – Violette Ganoe
Team: Mikaila Ganoe, Hailey Ganoe, Saige Gair, Marlee Gair, Wyatt Barto, Mckenna Davis, Donovan Perna