Couple homeless after dryer fire

WATSONTOWN — A couple was left temporarily homeless after a clothes dryer caught fire in their Main Street apartment on Tuesday morning, according to Watsontown Fire Chief Doug Funk.

No one was injured and the fire at 3 1/2 S. Main St. was brought under control in a matter of minutes.

It appeared that something “caused the dryer to overheat. Clothes in the dryer caught fire,” Funk said.

He termed damage to the apartment as “minor” and he believed the tenants would be back in the apartment in a few weeks if not sooner. The local chapter of the American Red Cross was assisting the victims.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today