6 recently charged in Tioga County
TIOGA — six people either have appeared or will appear before district judges to face various charges in Tioga County. They are:
• Martin Sherwood, 52, 91 E. Ave., Wellsboro, was committed to the Tioga County Prison in lieu of $35,000 bail stemming from an incident July 3 at his residence. Sherwood was charged with one count of aggravated assault and one count of resisting arrest by the Wellsboro Police Department. According to the arresting officer, a call came into the police department at 6:27 a.m. from Sherwood’s address. When the officer arrived, Sherwood was allegedly “huffing” a can of compressed air known as “duster” and his speech was slurred. When the officer tried to take the can from Sherwood, he punched the officer, who then tried several times to handcuff the defendant and each time, Sherwood would break free. The officer used a Taser on Sherwood. While he was on the ground, the defendant allegedly continued to huff the inhalant. Sherwood has been sent a summons to appear for a preliminary hearing before District Judge Robert L. Repard on July 17.
• Lori Ann Moore, 43, 201 Pattison Ave., Elkland, was committed to the Tioga County Prison in lieu of $15,000 bail and charged with theft, receiving stolen property and driving with a suspended license, stemming from an two incidents on June 15. Moore allegedly took a vehicle, valued at $1,500 for a test drive from Chilson Automotive, 312 N. Williamson Rd., Blossburg. When she did not return the vehicle, Chilson notified the Blossburg Police Department. Moore allegedly used the vehicle when she and a companion took a vacuum from Lowe’s Department Store, 2165 S. Main St., Richmond Township. State police charged Moore with one count of retail theft and one count of receiving stolen property for that incident. Bail was set at $5,000 for those charges. Moore has been sent a summons to appear for a preliminary hearing before District Judge James E. Carlson on July 11.
• Rachel Marie Kirkner, 21, 63 Third St., Apt. 307, Mansfield, is charged with simple assault and harassment stemming from a domestic incident at 141 East Main St., Mansfield, on June 24. Kirkner allegedly struck Walter Kirkner, her husband, several times and tried to strangle him, resulting in bruises and contusions. She also struck Jamie Fox, who was with Kirkner’s husband. Kirkner has been sent a summons to appear for a preliminary hearing before District Judge James E. Carlson on July 11.
• Billy E. Partington, 24, 144 Main St., Trout Run, is charged with one count of criminal trespass by Blossburg Police in connection with an incident at 134 Taber St. on June 9. Partington allegedly told police that he had permission to stay at the residence at that address, but when the owners were contacted, they said he did not. Partington has been sent a summons to appear for a preliminary hearing before District Judge James E. Carlson on Aug. 1.
• Barbara Ann Shoemaker, 27, 48 Route 549, Lot 13, Mansfield, is charged with six counts of bad checks and one count of criminal conspiracy by Mansfield Borough Police stemming from checks that she and a companion cashed from March 17-21, knowing that there were insufficient funds to cover the checks. Shoemaker has been sent a summons to appear for a preliminary hearing before District Judge James E. Carlson on Aug. 1.
• Cory Leon Ragan, 33, P.O. Box, Apt. 1, 11 West Hill Rd., Covington, is charged by Blossburg Police on June 14 with one count of possession of drug paraphernalia following a traffic stop at the intersection of Main Street and Bloss Mountain Road. Ragan is also charged by Tioga State Forest Department of Conservation and Natural Resources on June 17, with one count of possession of marijuana, one count of possession of drug paraphernalia and one count of driving on a suspended license. This incident took place in the Tioga State Forest area in Hamilton Township. Ragan has been sent a summons to appear for a preliminary hearing before District Judge James E. Carlson on August 8, for all charges.