×

Kitchen fire leaves 5 homeless

Two DuBoistown firefighters entered 214 Gordon St. where a kitchen fire erupted about 2:45 p.m. Monday. Borough and Williamsport firefighters responded to the home and put out the fire, but not before flames from the stove spread to overhead cupboards. DuBoistown Police Chief Norm Hager arrived first, rescuing the family’s dog from the basement and hitting the flames with a portable extinguisher. The fire was confined to the kitchen, which sustained $20,000 damage, DuBoistown Deputy Fire Chief John West said. There were no reports of injuries. Tenants Grisellies Benique and Rene Ruiz along with their three children are staying with relatives, West said. The cause of the fire was unattended cooking, he added.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today