×

Living room outlet fire displaces family of four

An electrical outlet in the living room of Michael Moyle and Nefertiti New, 527 Wolf Place in Williamsport, caught fire at about 11:15 a.m. Monday, displacing the couple and their two toddlers. They are staying with New’s family members.

The home was rented from Derreck Cimini. The couple did not have renter’s insurance and have about $1,000 dollars in damage, according to Platoon Chief Sam Aungst. He said Moyle and New had been having electrical problems since Saturday and their landlord was aware of the problem.

The fire was contained to the outlet and did not travel. A neighbor saw smoke coming from the home, alerting authorities.

“We were able to catch it real quick,” said Aungst.