Man accused of assaulting alleged thief who tried to rob him

JERSEY SHORE — Within an hour after Broadway Hotel owner Silvio DeParasis caught a “heavily intoxicated” Michael Spotts inside the hotel’s closed bar one afternoon last week, the 56-year-old businessman broke into Spotts’ apartment and assaulted him, Tiadaghton Valley Regional police alleged in court papers.

Spotts actually is one of DeParasis’s tenants, who lives in an apartment above the bar at 120 S. Broad St., police said.

DeParasis, of 1224 Walnut St., arrived at the hotel about 1:30 p.m. on Feb. 5 to discover the back door damaged and pried open, Patrolman Tyler Bierly wrote in an affidavit.

DeParasis then found Spotts inside the bar with a bag containing several cans of beer that had been taken from a refrigerator in the bar, Bierly said.

Spotts admitted to breaking into the bar, telling Bierly he was “a stupid drunk.”

Spotts was not taken into custody at that point, but police told DeParasis that Spotts would be charged in the coming days.

However, shortly after 2 p.m., police responded back to the hotel after DeParasis had allegedly forced his way into Spotts’ apartment, struck Spotts in the back of the head and repeatedly yelled at him “not to come back into the bar,” Bierly said.

Police also alleged that DeParasis “forcibly took a check from Spotts for $40,” the officer said.

“We did not expect DeParasis to do what he did. He had a clear understanding that charges were going to be filed against Spotts in the coming days,” Sgt. Brian Fioretti said Thursday afternoon.

Police had opted not to file charges on Spotts right away, Fioretti said, adding that Spotts was told to return to his apartment, which he did.

DeParasis was arrested and arraigned before District Aaron Biichle in Williamsport on charges of burglary, felony trespassing, simple assault, theft and criminal mischief. He was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $85,000 bail.

Spotts, 61, was arraigned Monday before District Judge Jerry C. Lepley on charges of burglary, felony trespassing, theft, receiving stolen property and criminal mischief. In the same complaint, police allege Spotts stole alcoholic beverages from the bar on Jan. 25. He was released on $25,000 bail.

Following a brief preliminary hearing before Lepley on Wednesday, DeParasis, who is now free on bail, was held for court on all charges.

Spotts’ preliminary hearing is scheduled for next week.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)