×

Nisbet family safely flees basement fire in home

A Nisbet couple and their son safely escaped a basement fire that erupted in their home early Friday morning, according to Nisbet Fire Chief James Pfleegor.

The fire at 66 First Ave. has been ruled accidental, Pfleegor said. The family’s name was not released.

Unable to sleep, the wife was watching television in her living room about 2 a.m. when the television suddenly went off and the woman heard “a sizzling noise,” Pfleegor said.

She yelled for her husband after seeing smoke coming from the basement, he added.

All three family members fled the house. The husband grabbed a garden hose, opened an exterior door to the basement and squirted water into the area as heavy, dense smoke poured out, Pfleegor said. The husband then closed the door and waited until firefighters arrived.

Firemen from Nisbet, DuBoistown, Nippenose Valley, South Williamsport and Woodward Township had the fire contained in about 15 minutes. There were no reports of injuries.

The fire, which was confined to the basement, centered around a pellet stove, Pfleegor said. There was smoke damage on the fire floor, but the family could remain in their home, he added.

“The firefighters did an awesome job in getting the fire out,” Pfleegor said.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)