City man arrested for disturbance, two motorists charged with DUI

A 40-year-old man was locked up Sunday night following two disturbances at the Fourth Street rooming house where he lives, according to city police.

Jerry Brooks, of 424 Fourth St., faces charges of simple assault, felony trespassing, disorderly conduct and harassment filed by Patrolman Damon Cole.

Police were initially called to the property about 6 p.m. to investigate a report in which a man was in a common hallway banging on the door of another occupant’s private room “while holding a knife and screaming at the occupants in the room to give him money,” Cole wrote in an affidavit.

When officers arrived, the man allegedly creating the ruckus, later identified as Brooks, had already retreated to his room, Cole said.

“He refused to exit or speak with the officers. He was told to leave his neighbors alone,” Cole said.

However, officers were back on the scene two hours later when Brooks allegedly entered the neighbor’s room, “getting in a woman’s face” and once again demanding money from her, Cole said.

The woman, who was not identified in court records, “feared she was going to get hurt” because she believed Brooks had a knife in his pocket and he was keeping one hand in that pocket, Cole said he was told.

The woman ordered Brooks to leave, but he refused until a second woman in the same room confronted him and told him to get out, which he did, Cole said.

When officers arrived at the rooming house, they took Brooks into custody without incident. He was arraigned before District Judge Aaron Biichle and committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $25,000 bail.

The judge also arraigned a Fairfield Township woman who, while intoxicated, tried to force her way into the Weis Market on East Penn Street in Muncy Creek Township with the hope of buying some wine, Muncy Detective Raymond O. Kontz III said in court papers.

The incident occurred about 9:50 p.m. on April 7. Like other supermarkets in the region, the store had closed early at 9 p.m. due to COVID-19. Muncy police were called to handle the incident because state police were busy handling other emergencies.

Cheryl Marceau, of 450 Warren St., was told the store was closed and ordered to leave the premises several times, but she refused as she stood outside at one of the store’s doors.

“I’m an old lady and I just need some wine,” Kontz quoted the woman saying in an affidavit he filed with the charges.

The store manager, who had to open the door slightly to talk with Marceau, told the 58-year-old woman that she would not be allowed in the store.

“I just need wine,” Marceau said.

The woman “put her foot in the door and wedged her body in the doorway to prevent the door from closing on her,” Kontz said.

Marceau then reached into her purse, and this “alarmed the manager who thought she might have a weapon of some kind,” Kontz said.

When the manager told Marceau that the police were going to be called, she said “OK, we’ll see who the police will believe, you or me.”

“It was apparent to the manager (and other store employees near the door) that Marceau was intoxicated or on some kind of drug,” Kontz said.

When Kontz and another officer arrived at the supermarket, Marceau had already retreated to her 2017 Subaru Outback in the parking lot.

The woman backed up and started pulling away, paying no attention to one of the officer’s multiple commands to stop.

Kontz and the second officer together pursued Marceau, who stopped at a traffic light and was taken into custody.

“The driver looked at us dazed and confused as she stepped out of the vehicle. She was unsteady on her feet so I grabbed her arm to steady her,” Kontz said.

“I could smell the odor of an alcohol beverage on her breath as she spoke,” the officer said.

“I asked her how much she had to drink, and she stated that she ‘drank a bottle of wine and was trying to buy more when this happened,'” Kontz quoted Marceau in the affidavit.

She was taken to the Muncy Valley Hospital, where she agreed to provide a blood sample.

As she was awaiting to have her blood drawn, she told Kontz, “All I did was drink a box of wine.” Her blood-alcohol content level was .17, Kontz said.

Arraigned Friday on felony fleeing police, resisting arrest, simple assault, criminal trespassing and DUI, Marceau was released on $25,000 bail.

Another motorist charged with DUI was Zane Staver, 68, of 1131 Mill Hill Road, Cogan Station, who was stopped by Old Lycoming Township police following an incident at Lycoming Creek Road and Beech Street in Lycoming Township, 10:30 p.m. Feb. 21.

Patrolman Brett Garbric said he suspected Staver was under the influence because he “detected an odor of alcoholic beverage on him,” and his eyes were glassy and his speech was slurred. The driver admitted he had had four beers, the officer said.

Court records state Staver’s BAC was .09. Also charged with careless driving, he has been sent a summons to appear before District Judge William Solomon.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)