Family of three safely escapes kitchen fire

A mother and her two teenage daughters have been left temporarily homeless after a kitchen fire broke out in their mobile home at 170 Pinecrest Drive about 2 p.m., according to Eldred Township Fire Chief Charles Whitford Jr.

One of the daughters was cooking French Fries on the stove when grease suddenly splashed and ignited the back of the stove as well as a section of a wall, Whitford said, adding the fire was doused with portable extinguishers once firefighters from Eldred and Loyalsock townships arrived on the scene.

One family member was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation, Whitford said. The family’s name was not released.

The family, which is being assisted by the local chapter of the American Red Cross, should be able to return to their mobile home in a several days, Whitford said. Damage from the accidental fire was set at about $2,000.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today