District judges handle four separate DUI cases



Allege drunk driver crashes during pursuit

MONTGOMERY – Early Wednesday morning, Muncy police Detective Raymond Kontz III stopped northbound motorist Nicholas Bradley for speeding on Route 15 near Fritz Station Road after he clocked the 19-year-old driving traveling 72 mph in a 55 mph speed zone.

Moments after he handed his driver’s license to the officer about 12:25 a.m., Bradley took off in his Toyota Scion, heading north again at a high rate of speed, a very high rate of speed, Kontz said.

“He traveled 4.65 miles just over two minutes,” the officer said.

Bradley, of New Park, York County, crashed just south of the lookout, near the Clinton-Armstrong Township line, where his car struck a set of Jersey barriers, Kontz said.

Muncy police have a contract with the Brady Township supervisors to provide service for their community.

Bradley lost control of his car just after he drove over a set of stop sticks that had been put down by South Williamsport police. Borough police just happen to be in the area on another matter and quickly deployed a set of stop sticks across the road after hearing Kontz’s radio transmission that a speeding driver was heading north on Route 15.

Following the crash, Bradley, who Kontz alleged was under the influence, was taken into custody on charges of felony fleeing police, recklessly endangering, DUI and resisting arrest. He was arraigned before District Judge Aaron Biichle and committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $25,000 bail.

Motorist faces charges after leaving judge’s office

MUNCY – Her license was suspended and she already had been convicted three times of DUI, but that did not deter Tammy Lehman from getting in her 2012 Jeep Liberty Friday afternoon allegedly drunk and pulling out of the parking at the office of District Judge Jon E. Kemp, according to court records.

She did it right in from of Muncy Detective Kontz as he and another officer were leaving the judge’s office on Route 405 just before 2 p.m. The two were both at Kemp’s office for a preliminary hearing in which the defendant waived the proceedings.

As the officer followed the 50-year-old woman towards Muncy, her Jeep crossed the double yellow center line at least twice, according to Kontz’s affidavit.

As she approached Neidigs Drive, Lehman suddenly turned off of Route 405, cutting in front of another motorist who was heading eastbound, Kontz said. She said and the officer pulled up behind her.

“She showed several outward signs of intoxication, including slurred speech and being unsteady on her feet,” the officer said.

It turned out she also had illegally removed a court-ordered ignition interlock device from her vehicle, Kontz said. With such a device, a driver has to blow into a mouth piece to determine if there is any alcohol in their system before the vehicle will start.

Lehman was taken to UMPC Muncy, but she refused to provide a blood test. She was then given a ride to her home at 31 N. Main St., apartment 8.

Kontz had initially planned to file charges officially at a later day, but when he went to Lehman’s apartment the next day to get some information about the interlock device, he found her again intoxicated and packing as if she was planning to move.

“She was unable to stand up. She was falling and hitting her head on the wall,” the officer said. He had her transported to UPMC Muncy to be evaluated, but soon after Lehman arrived, she began allegedly making verbal threats to the medical staff, Kontz said.

After she was medically cleared and discharged, Kontz took her before District Judge Jerry C. Lepley to be arraigned on charges of DUI, disorderly conduct and illegally removing an ignition interlock device, Lehman was jailed in lieu of $25,000 bail.

Driver charged after he passes out behind the wheel

With the engine of his 2010 Toyota Primus running, Lamar Stallworth, still sitting in the driver’s seat, “showed several signs of having a narcotic overdose” at Park Avenue and Allen Street about 4:45 p.m. on July 17, according to city police.

Paramedics quickly responded and Stallworth, 28, regained consciousness after he was given Narcan, police said.

Charged with DUI, Stallworth, of 412 High St., was arraigned Saturday before Lepley and released on $2,500 bail.

City man jailed on 2018 warrant

Michael Updegraff, 59, of Seattle, Washington, was taken into custody Saturday night at an undisclosed location on a state police warrant charging him with DUI and driving with a suspended license that stem from an incident at East Third and Basin streets in the city on Sept. 1, 2018, according to court records.

Updegraff, who had a temporary city address in the 800 block of Center Street, was arraigned before Lepley and jailed in lieu of $5,000 bail. His license is suspended because of a DUI conviction, police said.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today