1 arrested for allegedly assaulting police officer


An admitted methamphetamine addict is locked up on two sets of charges after injuring an Old Lycoming Township police officer in the 100 block of Powys Road in Hepburn Township, Sgt. Christopher Kriner alleged in an affidavit.

Kris Andrew Worden, 39, of 508 Railroad St., Jersey Shore, struggled with Patrolman Patrolman Kenneth Brown just before noon on Friday as the officer was attempting to take him into custody on a warrant filed by Tiadaghton Valley Regional police, Kriner said.

Brown and Police Chief Joseph Hope had been dispatched to Powys Road to assist an ambulance crew with an “unresponsive man in an SUV along the side of the road,” Kriner said.

Sitting in the driver’s seat was a man who was sleeping, but Brown was able to wake him up, Kriner said. Although the driver refused to provide his identification, officers were soon able to determine it was Worden, who was wanted on theft-related charges for allegedly stealing a woman’s wallet from a shopping cart in Jersey Shore, Kriner said.

Wooden was told he was being detained, but when Brown attempted to handcuff him, he struggled with the officer, Kriner said, adding that both men “slipped in a mud puddle and fell to the pavement.”

Wooden got up and started running, but was stopped and taken into custody after Hope deployed his taser, Kriner said. Brown suffered a serious shoulder injury and was taken by ambulance to UPMC Williamsport to be treated.

Wooden had on him a glass pipe with crystal methamphetamine residue, Kriner said. At his arraignment three hours later before District Judge William Solomon, Wooden admitted he was addicted to methamphetamine. As a result of struggling with Taylor, he was charged with aggravated and simple assault, resisting arrest, possession of drug paraphernalia and harassment.

In their warrant, Tiadaghton Valley Regional police charged him with theft and receiving stolen property for allegedly stealing Rebecca Loner’s wallet after she accidentally left it in a cart at Weis’, 1440 Allegheny St., on Sept. 26. The entire theft was caught on tape and police had little trouble identifying Worden as the alleged thief because when he checked out with his paid merchandise — which also was on video — he used his Weis shopper’s club card which was registered in his name. He was jailed in the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $250,000 bail on the assault-related charges and an additional $10,000 in the theft case.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today