Criminal charges withdrawn or dismissed in three cases
Allegations against mining company dropped
The state Fish and Boat Commission has dropped all criminal charges against the Fisher Mining Company and its 70-year-old president, John A. Blaschak, according to court records filed at the office of District Judge Jerry Lepley.
The commission recently withdrew all 37 misdemeanor and summary offenses against Blaschak, of 2826 Lincoln Drive, and his company.
Earlier this year, the commission alleged the company polluted more than five miles of unnamed tributaries to various runs in Pine Township between 2018 and May of this year.
Investigators alleged that the pollution originated near the mining company’s facility near Cedar Run.
A preliminary hearing was scheduled for both the company and Blaschak on Nov. 25, but that has since been canceled after Water Conservation Officer Justin Boatwright withdrew 24 counts of pollution of waters, eight counts of disturbance of waterways or watersheds plus five summary counts of violating the control of property provisions.
In another criminal matter, this one handled before District Judge Gary Whiteman, state police withdrew felony charges of deceptive business practices and home improvement fraud against Jason Yahn after the 37-year-old contractor returned a down payment to the victim in the case.
Yahn, of 1191 McGill Hollow Road, Linden, signed a contract this summer with Michael Smith who gave him a $500 down payment to do work on Smith’s sister’s property in Fairfield Township. However, police alleged he never did the work and even told Smith’s sister “I’m not going to do the work. If you want the money, sue me,” according to an affidavit. The felony charges were dropped last week.
In another case involving Yahn, he waived his preliminary hearing last week before District Judge William Solomon on theft-related charges filed by Old Lycoming Township police. These charges stem from Yahn allegedly stealing several catalytic converters from six vehicles on property on Colvin Road in the township in late September. He is free on $15,000 bail.
In another case, District Judge Aaron Biichle dismissed all city police charges against Tone Williams after the alleged sexual assault victim refused to testify.
Williams was charged with rape, attempted rape, sexual assault, attempted sexual assault, three misdemeanor counts of incident assault and one count each of false imprisonment, strangulation and simple assault.
A woman – acquainted with Williams – told police that he allegedly raped her in a city home during the early morning hours of Sept. 10. During the attack, Williams “poured numerous lotions, soap and nail polish remover into the woman’s eyes, police alleged.
Williams, 24, 1414 High St., had been incarcerated since his arrest following the alleged attack, but he was released after the entire case collapsed since the victim did not want to pursue the allegations.