Lock Haven woman heads to court over death of boy, 9


LOCK HAVEN — Jamie Lynne Jackson, 36, charged with criminal homicide in the death of her 9-year-old nephew, was bound over on all charges by District Judge Keith Kibler following a preliminary hearing Thursday afternoon at the Clinton County Courthouse.

Jackson is also charged with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children, tampering with or fabricating physical evidence, abuse of a corpse and concealing the death of a child. She is scheduled for arraignment on Feb. 22.

The ruling came down after a two-hour hearing in which District Attorney David Strouse detailed the allegations that Jackson beat Anson Landon Mitchell Stover “from head to toe,” and then concealed evidence to cover up what she had done.

Lock Haven City Police Detective Richard Simpson described the dozens of bruises and other injuries that were uncovered on Anson’s badly beaten body during an autopsy.

“It was the worst badly beaten body I have ever seen. There is not any part of his body that doesn’t have an injury,” Simpson said. “He had a black eye, cut lip, gash on the chin, bruises on his face and head. His legs were covered with abrasions, bruises and open wounds. There were circular injuries that looked like cigarette burns.”

The preliminary autopsy report listed the cause of death as either multiple blunt force injuries or blunt force injuries to the head. Simpson said more lab tests are being done to determine the extent of head injuries, which caused swelling and bleeding of the brain.

Lock Haven Police Officer Andrew Fisher testified that he discovered the boy’s body in a second-floor bath tub on Nov. 30 at Jackson’s residence on East Bald Eagle Street.

He said Jackson’s father called police after receiving a frantic call from his daughter, who told him “something terrible had happened and she needed his help.”

The father, who lives in New York, told Fisher he had not spoken to his daughter in three years until that day and was driving to Lock Haven. He also told Fisher that his daughter said she would kill herself if the police were called.

Fisher said he would meet the defendant’s father, Hugh Jackson, at Jamie’s home and when he and fellow Lock Haven Police Officer Gage Fischer approached the residence they found father and daughter in the doorway hugging.

Jamie Jackson adopted Anson and his three sisters three years ago after their biological mother, who was Jamie’s sister, passed away. Jamie also has two daughters and she and the six children lived in the East Bald Eagle Street apartment.

Officer Fisher said Jamie became hysterical when she saw police enter the home, and Hugh Jackson told him, “Anson is gone.”

The officers said they found Anson deceased in the bath tub in the second-floor bathroom. The tub was dry and he was fully clothed, they said. They said his hands were purple and he had bruising on his face, head and neck area and there was liquid coming from his mouth and nose.

Knowing the seriousness of the situation, Officer Fisher said he immediately called Detective Simpson to the scene. Jamie Jackson was advised of her Constitutional rights and transported to City Hall for an interview, Simpson said.

Detective Simpson said Jamie told him Anson was a “self-destructive” boy who ruined things, destroyed toys and deliberately urinated on the floor.

“She told me one of her daughters told her she saw Anson in his room with tape around his neck. She said she used scissors to cut it off and he was still breathing. She said he was naked in his bedroom on the floor. She said she thought he was just faking, so she dressed him and put him in the bath tub. She told me he never moved, he never got out of the tub, and that he was faking it,” Simpson said.

He said Jamie told him she checked on him several times over the next two days and Anson never responded.

She told Simpson she thought Anson was faking and that she never saw any injuries on the boy that she felt were life threatening. She also told Simpson she never called 911 or police about Anson.

Asked about Anson’s body weight at the time of his death, Simpson said he weighed 54 pounds on the day of the autopsy. At a doctor’s visit in March 2020, Anson weighed 71 pounds.

Strouse also asked Simpson about contents found in a dumpster behind Jamie’s residence.

Simpson said they found empty beer cans, empty Clorox bottles, cleaning supplies like rags and prescription pill bottles with Jamie Jackson’s name on them. Also, a pair of jeans, a tank top and sports bra, Simpson continued, adding that during a search of the home police found jeans in the same size in Jamie’s bedroom.

Simpson also testified that one of Anson’s sisters had what appeared to be a cigarette burn on her thigh.

During a second interview, Simpson said Jamie told him Anson “did all the injuries to himself.”

After the prosecution rested its case, public defender Patrick Johnson, who is representing Jamie, asked that some of the charges against his client be dismissed.

“There is no significant evidence that my client committed any of those injuries,” Johnson said.

Strouse agreed that there was no confession or specific evidence that the defendant committed the crime, but that he offered enough circumstantial testimony to move this case forward on all counts.

“First she threatened to kill herself if police came, acted hysterical when they did, formulated a story that Anson did it to himself, that he was faking,” Stouse said. “She completely glossed over the reality of the situation … She said she saw no injuries … His entire body was covered with injuries from head to toe. … She attempted to cover up what she had done … to cover up a murder.”


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today