Various charges lodged against several in separate cases

Jersey Shore man charged with assaulting two men

Arriving at Nathan Harman’s home in Jersey Shore to investigate a report of a fight between neighbors about 8:45 p.m. Saturday, Tiadaghton Valley Regional police officers were approached by Harman, 30, who told them he just punched two other men upstairs.

When officers climbed the stairs to the apartment building at 256 Allegheny St., they first saw blood coming from Michael Middleworth’s mouth as he was sitting in a chair.

Another man, James Showers, was laying on the balcony floor, breathing but unresponsive, an officer wrote in an affidavit. Paramedics also were dispatched to the scene and took over providing emergency care to both men.

Harman admitted to assaulting Middleworth and Showers because they “were making sexual comments to his wife. Harman asked them to stop, but they wouldn’t,” the officer said in the court document.

Investigators learned that Showers and Middleworth had been sitting on the balcony, drinking all day, and the two would make sexual comments at Harman’s wife “whenever she walked past them,” the affidavit stated.

When Harman told the two to “knock it off,” Showers called him a name and that infuriated him, so he punch Showers, police were told.

Middleworth, with a liquor bottle in his hand, then stood up, but this prompted Harman to assault him, police added. While Showers and Middleworth were being treated at Geisinger Jersey Shore Hospital, Harman was taken into custody. He has been arraigned before District Judge Jerry C. Lepley on two counts each of simple assault and harassment, and committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $5,000 bail.

Middleworth, 53, of 437 Cherry Alley, Jersey Shore, also was arrested for his alleged belligerent behavior in which he yelled obscenities at the medical staff while being treated in the emergency room.

Charged with disorderly conduct and public drunkenness, Middleworth was arraigned before District Judge Christian Frey and initially jailed, but he has since been released on $5,000 bail.

Heated argument leads to destruction of property

During a heated argument with the owner of the Happy Acres Restaurant inside the business on Little Pine Creek Road outside Waterville about 9:30 a.m. on May 24, Joseph Ralph Griffin, employed there as the kitchen manager, “started to break things” in the eatery, Tiadaghton Valley Regional police said in an affidavit.

The two were having “a heated argument about working conditions,” police said. Court records did not identify the restaurant’s owner by name.

Griffin, 45, of 10887 Route 44, Waterville, first picked up a decorative money jar and threw it on the floor, smashing it, police alleged. He then destroyed a $2,400 computer by throwing it on the floor, officers alleged in the affidavit.

Griffin claimed the owner kicked him in the buttocks, police said, adding that Griffin then pulled down his pants, exposing himself in front of female employees. The kitchen manager told police he dropped his pants to show the employees the extent of his injuries.

Employees told police that Griffin was “being very aggressive and continued to go after the owner,” court records stated. Charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief and disorderly conduct, Griffin has been sent a summons to appear before Lepley.

Felony charges lodged against area contractor

A Clinton County contractor faces felony charges for taking $20,000 for a home improvement project, but failing to complete the work, Old Lycoming Township police alleged in an affidavit.

Jason Port, 41, of Mill Hall, who operates Pitbull Construction and Maintenance, was paid in October for labor and materials for a project that was to be done at 3430 Lycoming Creek Road, police said.

“However the work was never completed nor was the money ever returned” to the property owner, who was not identified in court records.

Port has been arraigned before District Judge William Solomon on charges of home improvement fraud, theft by deception and deceptive business practices. He is free on $50,000 bail.

Mifflin Township man charged following disturbance

During a domestic disturbance on May 30, Alanta Doan managed to get away from her alleged attacker, Nicholas Stroud, and lock herself in the bathroom at 3274 Lycoming Creek Road, Old Lycoming Township police said in an affidavit.

However, Stroud, 21, of 238 Zinck Road, Jersey Shore, pursued her and “tried to break down the door, threatening to beat her and telling her she deserved to die,” court records stated.

Police allege that Stroud had already put Doan in a chokehold and pulled out a clump of her hair before she bolted to the bathroom. As Stroud attempted to get into the room, the woman escaped through a window, police said in the affidavit.

She fled in her car, but Stroud sent her several voice messages on her cellphone, telling her that he would put her belongings outside, where she could collect him, court records stated.

Soon after she returned to get her possessions, Stroud approached her vehicle and became upset, breaking a passenger window when she told him she was calling police, the affidavit said. She was on the phone with a 911 dispatcher when Stroud allegedly broke the window.

Police allege that in an incident 10 days earlier, Stroud “used his foot on Doan’s throat to hold her down on the floor, “making her gasp for air, see stars and begin to hyperventilate. This action left a large bruise on her lower jaw,” and officer said in the affidavit.

Following his arraignment before District Judge Jon E. Kemp on charges of strangulation, terroristic threats, simple assault criminal mischief and harassment, Stroud was initially jailed, but has since been released on $25,000 bail.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today