Stabbing victim identifies alleged attacker during preliminary hearing

PHILIP A. HOLMES/Sun-Gazette A constable returns Eric Tyson back to the Lycoming County Prison after the inmate was held for court on all charges related to a stabbing in the city last month.

Curtis Kinney is recovering from a stab wound he suffered on Sept. 20 in the city apartment he shares with Eric Tyson, but he still has not been able to return to work.

On the stand in the hearing room of District Judge Christian Frey, Kinney pointed to the 52-year-old Tyson, sitting next to his defense attorney, and testified that Tyson allegedly stabbed him during an argument inside 213 Campbell St.

“I didn’t see the knife until he (Tyson) did what he did,” Kinney told Frey during Tyson’s preliminary hearing Tuesday on city police charges.

“On the first time, the knife didn’t go all the way in. On the second time, it did,” Kinney testified. A woman who lives in the apartment and witnessed the assault pulled the knife out of Kinney’s left torso. Kinney, 48, managed to get into a vehicle and drive himself to UPMC Williamsport, where he underwent surgery.

“There is a hole in my colon from that night. They (the surgeons) put me back together,” Kinney testified. “I have to let them (the injuries) heal before I can go back to work,” he said.

Kinney said he believes he did not do anything to provoke the attack and that he had just been trying to help Tyson.

“I don’t know if it was drugs or alcohol. He just flipped out,” the victim testified.

Tyson was taken into custody near the apartment shortly after the stabbing and has since remained behind bars at the Lycoming County Prison on no bail.

At the conclusion of the hearing, Frey held him on charges of attempted homicide, aggravated assault, possession of an instrument of crime and tampering with evidence.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today