×

Waves of showers expected to batter the region

Batten down the hatches.

Isolated strong to severe thunderstorms and localized flash flooding are possible Monday and Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service in State College.

And it doesn’t end any time soon, with a 50 percent chance of rain for the next eight to 14 days.

While the high temperature is bearable, and approaching 80 degrees, there is a tropical moisture and upper-level energy aiding in producing showers and thunderstorms, causing the humidity to reach 86 percent, according to Paul Ziegenfelder, a forecaster at the State College office.

The chance of showers every day will likely cause headaches for those trying to get outdoor activities, such as mowing lawns or trimming, done.

Before the deluge begins, Jersey Shore in western Lycoming County had recorded the most rainfall.

The borough has received 1.9 inches of rain, before Monday’s storms arrived, according to the forecasting service.

So far, the region has seen 4.4 inches of rain for the month, which is only a bit more than halfway through.

Still, the conditions are better than in 1972, when the remnants of Tropical Storm Agnes hit, dumping 16.8 inches of rain total. Eight inches fell in just 24 hours, causing the rivers and creeks to flood severely.

It is also far better to deal with showers for several days than to endure a 102 temperature, which folks did in 1952, the record high for June, according to the forecasting service.

Likewise, it is better than to be having to turn on heat, as they did in 1986, when the low temperature was 36 degrees.

For the most part, other than the frequent rain, the average temperature is in the 70s, according to the state Climate Office.

But the rain may seem incessant at times throughout the stretch.

Today, there’s a chance of showers and thunderstorms.

It will be mostly gray and cloudy, with a low of 64 degrees. The winds will be calm, but there is a 50 percent chance of rain, and another quarter-and-a-half inch of rain is possible.

Conditions outdoors don’t improve on Tuesday, which may bring showers and a possible thunderstorm after 2 p.m.

The high will be near 80, with calm winds, but an increasing chance of rain at 60 percent.

Showers continue Tuesday night with a possible thunderstorm before 8 p.m. and then periodic rain with a low around 63. The chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

The pattern of rain continues Wednesday, with showers likely and percentage of rain is at 60 percent. A possible shower may linger Wednesday night, but the chance is less at 40 percent.

No clear day is expected Thursday, with a high near 79 and a definite chance of more showers at 70 percent.

Rain continues Thursday night, and there is another chance of rain Friday, but by then it could be partly cloudy with peeks of sun. It remains about 79 for the high with temperatures comfortable at 59 at night.