School district plans fireworks for game’s salute to veterans
HUGHESVILLE — The annual military appreciation football game, this Friday at Hughesville High School, will feature fireworks and skydivers to celebrate members of the military from the area, it was announced at the East Lycoming School Board meeting Tuesday.
Any current member of the military or veterans are invited to participate and are asked to be at the school by 6:30 p.m., Michael Pawlik, district superintendent, told the board.
He stressed that all military personnel in the area and not just those in the school district are welcome and will be admitted to the game free of charge.
“It’s not just for East Lycoming residents, anyone, anywhere, who happens to be here,” he said. “We want to honor them for their past service and their current service.”
He noted that in response to some of the veterans having difficulty walking across the field at past years, the format will be changed this year to be more accommodating to those needs.
In other business, the board approved the resignation for retirement reasons for David Maciejewski, business manager and board secretary, effective Feb. 28, 2020.
They also approved the resignation for retirement of Stephen Buggy, a member of the teaching staff.
Under personnel, the board approved:
• The resignations of Lisa Strouse, greenhouse manager and Krista Bower, an ESL teacher.
• An increase in hours per day for support and supervisor aides, Beth Ritter, Alba Elizondo and Desiree Doebler.
• The addition of Jon Delker, guest teacher and DeAnna Yerger, nurse, to the substitute teaching and support staff.
• Long term substitute secondary art teacher, Heather Leigey at a rate of $51,084.
• The appointment of Megan Fox as an elementary teacher at Ferrell at a rate of $51,084.
• The rate of Pre-K lead teachers, Brandy Wroblewski and Brooke McConnell to be adjusted to $51,084.
In her report to the board, Cori Cotner, director of curriculum and instruction, said that there are still eight spots available for Pre-K students at Renn Elementary.
Board members present were: Richard Michael, Donna Gavitt, Michael Mamrak, Karen Berger, Lisa McClintock, Robert Heckrote and Kristy Creasy.
The next meeting is at 7 p.m. Sept. 10 at the high school, 349 Cemetery St.