20-40 years in prison for homicide conviction

A Philadelphia man recently pled guilty to a 2017 robbery and homicide along West Third Street and was sentenced to 20 to 40 years in state prison.

Jameir R. Hines, 25, was also sentenced to complete a mental health assessment, a drug and alcohol assessment and an anger management assessment.

Hines claimed he was unaware of the intent his cohort, Paul R. Heath, 27, to shoot Shawn Graham as they broke into his house at 2225 W. Third St., at about 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 7 2017, according to police interviews.

A neighbor nearby called the police to report the two black males forcing their way into the home, according to an affidavit.

As Graham lay dying, Tara Diemer, who was in the home at the time, told police that she was restrained with duct tape by Hines after he took her phone. When she escaped from the tape, Hines took her upstairs to find valuables.

The neighbor, who notified police, advanced on the assailants and once he was in view, the two men fled.

“A Williamsport Bureau of Police officer responding to the call stopped a whited dodge vehicle in the 1700 block of West Third Street, Heath exited and shot at the police officer, hitting him in the arm,” said the affidavit.

While Heath left in a rented white Dodge Challenger, police said they would later learn that Hines escaped east, through an alley.

The chase led police along Route 220 at a gas station in Woodward Township, where Heath eventually shot himself in the head.

On Heath’s body, a room key to a hotel and a cellphone ultimately led police to link the crime to Hines.

Video tapes at a hotel along Route 15 in Montgomery Pike, revealed the two entering and exiting the white Challenger, and in reviewing the cellphone’s social media and correspondence, police identified Hines, who arrived back in Philadelphia Nov. 8.

It took police 11 days to finally apprehend Hines. His cellphone was eventually traced to have traveled to Williamsport and within 2,500 feet of the crime on Nov. 7.