School Board Association to help JSASD find superintendent
JERSEY SHORE — The Jersey Shore Area School Board approved a contract with the Pennsylvania School Board Association to conduct a comprehensive superintendent search to fill the position left vacant by the retirement of Dr. Jill Wenrich, the current superintendent. Wenrich’s retirement is effective June 1. The cost of the search is $5,000.
In other business, the board gave the okay for the Jersey Shore Education Foundation to purchase a CAT simulator at a cost of $42,311. The majority of the funding was from EITC money that the foundation received. Voting in favor of the purchase were: David Becker, Nancy Petrosky, Michelle Stemler, Patrice Doebler, Wayne Kinley, Craig Allen and Angela Grant. Voting no were Harry Brungard and Mary Thomas.
A request made at the last board meeting for the Heart and Sole Program for middle school girls and the Girls on the Run program was approved by the board.
Other items approved included:
• An MOU between the district and Lackawanna College for a dual enrollment which would offer two courses, Principles of Accounting and Introduction to computer Applications to district students as three-credit courses. The cost, $100 per credit, would be the responsibility of the student.
• The establishment of a Technology Scholarship Fund to be held in trust by the district.
• A letter of agreement for the 2019-20 school year between the district and Susquehanna Community Health and Dental Clinic for dental care services for district students.
• Renewal of an MOU with the Pennsylvania State Police Troop F and the district.
• Renewal of an MOU with the Tiadaghton Valley Regional Police Department and the district.
Under personnel, the board approved job descriptions for the following positions: network-computer technician; security guard and event staff. All were approved unanimously, except the network-computer technician which Thomas voted against.
They also approved the following appointments:
• Frederick Brown, James Lape and Donald Rhinehart, security guards at $14.50 per hour.
• Steven Conway, head security guard at $15.00 per hour.
• Daniel Allen, Jayme Benner, Austin Donahay, Richard Moyer, Frederick Packard, Kevin Richard, Jay Willits and Henry Woodring, event staff at $12.83 per hour.
• Laura Engle, bus aide for Susquehanna Transit.
• Susan Balogh and Autumn Shirey, bus aides for Marden’s, Inc.
• Becky Nettleton, Brandon Nettleton, Kristopher Runner and RexAllen Schrum, bus drivers for Susquehanna Transit.
• Autumn Shirey as a van driver for Marden’s, Inc.
• Tammie Beck, part-time food service position at Salladasburg Elementary at $10.50 per hour.
• Jacob Maneval, varsity head girls soccer coach and Mitchell Cornelius, varsity head boys soccer coach for 2019-20 school year each at a stipend of $3600.
The next board meeting will be at 7 p.m., Feb. 10 at the Administration Building, 175 A & P Drive.