School board pursuing tax increase
MONTGOMERY — The Montgomery school board unanimously voted to adopt the proposed preliminary 2020-21 district budget of $17,013,976 with a tax increase of 0.90 mills on Tuesday night.
In addition, the vote included advertising the district’s intent to file for an exception with the state Department of Education. In order to exceed the Act 1 index, a mandatory cap on proposed tax increases, the board must file and be approved for an exception, according to Grant Evangelisti, secretary.
Currently, the board cannot increase over the index maximum of 0.56 mills; if the exception is approved, the budget could increase by the proposed 0.90 mills, which means for a $90 increase on properties that are assessed at $100,000 in the borough.
In other business, Jamie Doyle, from public financial management, attended the board meeting to provide a brief presentation about long range planning for capital projects for construction done in the district. Possible projects were not disclosed and not acted on.
In another matter, the board approved Ty Drick as assistant varsity baseball coach for a salary of $2,675 with Karen Snyder, Tara Bozella, Jon DeSantis, Chris Johnson, Paula Yeckley, Robyn Schrieber, Michael Snyder, Dana Pick and Joseph Stoudt voting “yes” and Tom Persing voting “no”.
The other coaches that were unanimously approved for spring sports include:
• Amanda Kustanbauter, assistant varsity softball, $2,475
• Tim Persing, assistant varsity baseball, volunteer
• Euvy Solano, assistant varsity baseball, volunteer
• Aaron Lorson, assistant varsity baseball, volunteer
• Bob Spangler, assistant varsity baseball, volunteer
• Courtney Wilk, assistant varsity softball, volunteer
• Harry Overdorf Sr., assistant varsity softball, volunteer
• Harry Overdorf Jr., assistant varsity softball, volunteer
• Chris Lorson, assistant varsity softball, volunteer
The board unanimously approved the Montgomery Elementary Girls Basketball program to use the high school gym and multipurpose room from Wednesday through March 15 and to use the Montgomery Area Community Center on Feb. 2. The next Montgomery School Board meeting will be held Feb. 18 at 7 p.m. at the district office at 120 Penn Street.