Sunday night fire leaves 2 homeless, no injuries

The trailer fire that caught fire Sunday night on Michael Avenue in Wolf Township seen here Monday morning. The Hughesville Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched at 10:30 p.m. and found the trailer fully involved. Chief 2-24 arrived on scene to find the mobile home fully involved. Engine 24, Engine 1-24, Ambulance 24 and Utility 24 responded with 17 volunteers. Crews worked on scene for approximately 2.5 hours. HVFD was assisted by crews from Picture Rocks, Muncy Area, Pennsdale, Montgomery, and Montoursville Fire Departments, according to the Hughesville Volunteer Fire Department. KAREN VIBERT-KENNEDY/Sun-Gazette

Fire crews responded to a trailer fire that rendered a Wolf Township home uninhabitable by its two residents, according to the Hughesville Volunteer Fire Department.

The two residents, and their one dog, were unharmed during the fire, which began at around 10:30 p.m. on Michael Avenue at the Orchards Mobile Homes Park, according to Chris May, the second assistant fire chief at Hughesville Volunteer Fire Department, who helped handle the scene.

Although the cause of the fire has yet to be determined, May explained the fire began toward the front of the structure, facing the road.

It then spread toward the back before first responders were able to knock it down after around 20 minutes of being on-scene. The back of the structure is still standing, although it suffered smoke and water damage as a consequence of the incident.

Because the home is now uninhabitable, the Red Cross has been called to assist the residents, according to May.

The two adult residents managed to escape uninjured, according to May, as did their pet dog. The dog initially ran off, but later returned and is safe.

May explained the state police fire marshall was called to the scene to determine the cause. First responders do not believe the fire was caused due to suspicious activity at this time.

Several other fire companies joined the Hughesville Volunteer Fire Department in assisting on the call, according to May. The Picture Rocks Volunteer Fire Company, Muncy Area Volunteer Fire Company, Pennsdale Volunteer Fire Company, Montgomery Volunteer Fire Company and Montoursville Fire Department all arrived on-scene to help.

Crews worked on the scene for more than two hours, and the last unit reported itself as available at around 1:40 a.m. Monday morning.

Reporter Phillip A. Holmes contributed to this story.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today