×

Mayor issues statement on shootings

Mayor Derek Slaughter issued a statement Wednesday in the wake of three shootings across the city over the last five days.

He said the following: “The recent shootings, while unsettling, do not necessarily pose a significant threat to our community at large.

“These shootings appear to be isolated incidents. However, the responsibility lies with each citizen to say something if you see something.

“We all need to work together to ensure a safe city.”

A woman suffered a superficial graze wound when shots were fired near West Fourth and Campbell streets about 10:15 p.m. Tuesday. The woman declined medical treatment, police said.

At least two bullets struck a building, shattering two windows. No arrest has been made in that case.

These two shootings follow one that occurred early Saturday morning in the 1100 block of Isabella Street, where a one or two gunmen fired multiple shots into an occupied home between 1 and 2 a.m., according to neighbors. No arrest has been made in this case either.

The shootings also come ahead of a police administration change. Chief Justin Snyder and Assistant Chief Jason Bolt are expected to be sworn in Friday morning at City Council chambers at City Hall.

Chief Damon R. Hagan announced his retirement earlier this week after serving on the police force for 22 years.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today