Nearby haunts, trick or treat dates and more this spooky season
For those in the mood for some spooky fun as Halloween draws near, Pennsylvania boasts five of the top 45 haunts in the nation, according to a recent list published by the Haunted Attraction Association.
Those haunted hangouts are Field of Screams in Mountville; Halloween Nights at the Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia; Hundred Acres Manor in Pittsburgh; Reapers Revenge in Scranton; and Shocktoberfest, of Sinking Springs.
“The Top Haunts certification rewards those attractions that have been in operation for at least 10 years and are not only leaders in delivering some of the best attractions in the business, but also in setting the bar high for best practices in safety,” said H.A.A. President Spencer Tarry.
The attractions included in the list serve to give Pennsylvania residents an idea of the variety of haunted hangouts they are able to frequent in the keystone state. From the scares that await in the storied halls of Eastern State Penitentiary to the terrifying twists and turns of Hundred Acres Manor, Pennsylvania residents will surely have no trouble finding a good fright over the coming weeks.
While the attractions on the list may be a bit of a drive from Lycoming County, it’s no secret that there are myriad spooky adventures to enjoy near and around the region. From haunted houses and hay rides to pumpkin picking and costume parties, there are fun options for all ages and fear levels.
One such event includes “Boo from the Porch,” to be hosted in the 600 and 700 blocks of West Fourth Street from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 22, by Preservation Williamsport.
There are a total of five porches participating this year, all in the hopes of raising funds for Preservation Williamsport. Each porch will be decorated with Halloween attire and food and drinks will be served. All porches are within a block of the historic Rowley House Museum, 707 W. Fourth St.
“Our mission is to educate the community and to remind them of the wonderful architecture we have,” said Nan Young, Preservation Williamsport boardmember.
In addition to the festive porch activities, there will be a costume contest, 50/50 raffle and a silent auction held on the front porch of the Rowley House. All proceeds from the auction will benefit Preservation Williamsport. The Bullfrog Brewery and Peter Herdic House are donating goods for the event.
Entry costs $35 in advance or $45 at the event. Tickets can be purchased at either Fink’s Paint Store, 338 Mifflin Ave., or by contacting Larry Fryda at 570-560-7188 or Lisa Fink, 570-220-4090.
Other goings on in the region include but are not limited to:
• The Haunted Barn of Tallman Hollow, 5 to 10 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 21, through Sunday, Oct. 24, and Oct. 28 through 31, Elysian Fields Equestrian Center, 1345 Tallman Hollow Road, Montoursville
• Flashlight Safari, 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 22, and Saturday, Oct. 23, Clyde Peeling’s Reptiland, 18628 Route 15, Allenwood
• Fall festival, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 23, Embassy of Loyalsock, 1445 Sycamore Road, Montoursville
• 2nd annual Flannels, Axes & Brews, noon, Saturday Oct. 23, New Trail Brewing Company, 240 Arch St., Building 18
• Halloween Reading and Trick-or-Treating, 2 to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 23, Taber Museum, 858 W. Fourth St.
• Free fall festival hosted by Williamsport’s recreation department, 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 23, the Lycoming College intramural field on Market Street
• Kids’ Halloween party, noon Sunday, Oct. 24, Muncy American Legion, 515 Legion Road, Muncy
• Trunk or Treat, 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 28, Embassy of Loyalsock, 1445 Sycamore Road, Montoursville
• Boomer’s Drive-Thru Trick or Treat , 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29, Muncy Bank Ballpark parking lot, 1700 W. Fourth St.
• The Rocky Horror Picture Show, 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29, Campus Theatre, 413 Market St., Lewisburg
• Haunted Hotel, 7 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Oct. 29 and 30, Watson Inn, 100 Main St., Watsontown
• Munchkins and Pumpkins, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, Lewisburg Children’s Museum, 815 Market St., Lewisburg
• Market Street Mask-a-rade, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, Campus Theatre, 413 Market St., Lewisburg
• Kids Pumpkin Painting Party, 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, Avis Fire Company #1, 1 E. Central Ave., Avis
• Buffalo Valley Recreation Authority Spooktober Fest, 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, St. Mary’s Park, N. Fifteenth St., Lewisburg
• Trunk or Treat, 3 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, FUN Academy, 145 Ashler Drive, Muncy
• Trunks & Treats, 5:30 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, Grace Fellowship Church, 19 W. Ridge St., Avis
• Trunk or Treat, 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, New Covenant United Church of Christ, 202 E. Third St.
• Heartstrings at Gamble Halloween Party, 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 30, The Gamble Farm Inn & Suites, 311 N. Main St., Jersey Shore
• Halloween Children’s Festival, 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 31, Basil Wood Fired Kitchen and Lounge, 213 N. Main St., Muncy
• Trunk or Treat, noon to 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 31, Bald Birds Brewing Company, 220 Shaffers Lane, Jersey Shore
Trick or Treat
Local communities have announced the following trick or treat dates and times:
Saturday, Oct. 30
• South Williamsport, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Loyalsock Township, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Montgomery, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
• Muncy Borough, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Avis, 6 to 8 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 31
• Williamsport, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Montoursville, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Old Lycoming Township, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Hughesville, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Jersey Shore, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Lock Haven, 6 to 8 p.m.