Let perseverance, humility lead us on path of betterment
There is no substitute for hard work.
We keep coming back to that time and again.
Among the many principles we follow is that which says, “Great work is not performed by strength but by perseverance and humility.”
Here we are on the doorstep of a new decade in this very short journey of life.
And we have many hopes for 2020. Among them:
• That our readers enjoy a healthy, happy and prosperous year.
• That our families — especially our children — are taken care of and find in their homes and communities a nurturing, caring environment.
• That our businesses and job-creators find continued and new success to start out a new decade.
• That more employable candidates join the regional workforce to enhance the business of our employers and the economy in general.
• That our region continue to build upon its blue-collar legacy of hard work.
• That those who work to improve their communities find success through cooperation, creativity and good will.
• That 2020 bring a new understanding among leaders of our area institutions, civic and charitable organizations of how collaboration can overcome challenges to meet critical needs.
• That our schools find ways to build and sustain pride among their students and the communities they serve.
• That a growing faith, goodness and compassion abides in us all as we spend time on this Earth.
• That we never take our freedom for granted and, indeed, that we all gain a fresh understanding of the need to be accountable and that freedom is responsibility.
On the national level, we pray that 2020 will be an election year that unifies rather than divides the citizens of the greatest nation on Earth.