Local roundup: Wellsboro’s Morral shoots team-low 80 at White Deer
At White Deer in a non-league golf match, Wellsboro won with a 348 team score, followed by Benton in second and Montgomery in third.
Wellsboro’s Ty Morral led the three-team match with an 80. Joe Propheta shot an 85 and Brock Hamblin shot an 89. Montgomery had only one golfer compete as Austin Diehl shot a 108.
• In girls tennis, Montgomery defeated Towanda, 6-1. Towanda’s only win came at No. 1 singles. At No. 2 singles, Brooke Bartlow earned a 6-0, 6-0 win against Hanna Risch and Emily Wolfgang won at No. 3 singles, 6-0, 6-1.
Wellsboro’s match with Bucktail didn’t finish due to storms and will be made-up Oct. 2.
• Oliver Matz recorded his first career hat trick, adding an assist, and Connor Albaugh added two goals and an assist as Loyalsock defeated unbeaten Bloomsburg, 9-1. Alex Hesier scored twice and Brady Dowell tallied two goals and an assist for the undefeated Lancers.
Galeton lost to North Penn-Liberty, 3-1. Liberty was led by Derek Litzelman’s two goals.
• Williamsport and Shikellamy tried to wait out a second-half lightning delay but eventually called the game with 18 minutes remaining and the teams in a 1-1 tie. Kailee Helmrich scored unassisted for the Millionaires in the 18th minute for Williamsport’s lone goal. Lila Vogelsong made six saves for Williamsport.
Montgomery’s Abi Duck made 15 saves in a 5-0 loss to Millville. The Red Raiders were limited to just four shots on goal.
Montoursville defeated Mifflinburg, 2-1, in a game shortened by lightning. There was 13:55 remaining when it was called. Lily Saul scord both goals in the second half.
• In girls volleyball, North Penn-Liberty beat Horseheads, 3-1 (25-14, 19-25, 26-24, 25-20). Charisma Grega had 15 kills and 27 digs. Ali Koval had 41 digs.
• Stephanie Moir made 15 saves, but West Chester proved to be too much, coming away with a 3-0 win over Mansfield in women’s soccer. West Chester controlled much of the offensive tempo in the first half, totaling 16 shots with seven on target.
• The Lock Haven University men’s soccer team defeated the University of the District of Columbia after a lengthy weather delay, 5-1.
Due to ongoing thunderstorms in the area, Lycoming’s game with crosstown rival Penn College was postponed. A makeup date for the Battle for the Lumber was not yet determined.
• In women’s field hockey, Mansfield applied continuous offensive pressure, but IUP’s lone goal made the difference in a 1-0 final.
• The Lycoming College men’s tennis team fell to Susquehanna, 8-0, in non-conference action. Lycoming was led in the match by junior Cody Greenaway, a Milton grad, with freshman Frank Summerson, a South Williamsport grad, to fall 8-4 at No. 2 doubles and was behind 5-7, 1-3 in his second match when a hard rain forced the cancellation of the match.
• Sophomore Andrew Everetts, a N.P.-Mansfield grad, led the Lycoming golf team with a career-best 89 to finish 23rd at the Penn State Schuylkill Invitational.
• After a tough first-set loss, the Lycoming College volleyball team stormed back to post a 3-1 (22-25, 25-15, 25-23, 25-21) win over Alvernia. In the third, Lycoming came back from a 7-0 deficit to take a 23-21 lead after a block by freshman Elizabeth Kelson and junior Emily Konopka and a kill by junior Kiannah Titus.
HIGH SCHOOL GOLF
(at White Deer)
Team scores: Wellsboro, 348; Benton, 375; Montgomery, 540.
Benton scores: Mike Mrythel 83; Will Holdren 85; Josh Grassley 97; Cole Dewald 110. Wellsboro scores: Ty Morral 80, Joe Propheta 85; Brock Hamblin 89; Dylan Abernathy 102; Ethan Blakley 94; Daniel Mitchell 105. Montgomery scores: Austin Dihel 108.
Montgomery 6, Towanda 1
1. Hannah Ryck (T) def. Saige Whipple, 6-0, 6-4; 2. Brooke Bartlow (M) def. Hanna Risch, 6-0, 6-0; 3. Emily Wolfgang (M) def. Emma Walter, 6-0, 6-1; 4. Clara Ulrich (M) def. Mackenna Maynard, 6-0, 6-1; 5. Irish Keister (M) def. Ava Gannon, 6-1, 6-3.
1. Brooke Bartlow/Emily Wolfgang (M) def. Hannah Risch/Emma Walter, 6-1, 6-3; 2. Saige Whipple/Clara Ulrich (M) def. Hanna Ryck/Mackenna Maynard, 6-1, 6-1.
Loyalsock 9, Bloomsburg 1
L – Connor Albaugh (Oliver Matz), 18th; L – Matz (Albaugh), 25th; L – Albaugh (PK), 31st; L – Brady Dowell (Jacob Daniels), 38th; L – Matz (Matt O’Malley), 42nd; L – Matz (Matt Barone), 45th; L – Alex Heiser (Bradyn Gardner), 68th; L – Heiser (Dowell), 70th; L – Dowell (Brennan Sullivan), 79th.
Shots: L 11, B 5. Corners: L 4, B 0. Saves: L 4, B 2.
N.P. Liberty 3, Galeton 1
NPL–Caiden Alexander (Aladen Jackson). G–Cochran Jake (penalty kick). NPL–Derek Litzelman (Kevin Alexander). NPL–Derek Litzelman (Zachary Hoffman).
Shots: NPL 9, G 15. Corners: NPL 4, G 5. Saves: NPL (Jayden Good) 5, G (Mykel Kuhns) 9.
Williamsport 1, Shikellamy 1
(Game called with 18 minutes
left in second half)
W – Kailee Helmrich, 18:00; S – Eryn Swanger (penalty kick), 20:00.
Shots: S 6, W 12. Corners: W 2, S 2. Saves: S 11 (Cassie Ronk); W 6 (Lila Vogelsong).
Records: Williamsport (4-0-1). Next game: Crestwood at Williamsport, Saturday, 2 p.m.
Millville 5, Montgomery 0
Millville goals: Alexa Rine 3, Kieran Gaydos 1, Mia Yohey 1.
Shots: Mi 20, Mo 4. Corners: Mi 4, Mo 1. Saves: Mi 4, Mo 15 (Abi Duck).
Records: Montgomery (1-4). Next game: Meadowbrook Christian at Montgomery, today, 4:30 p.m.
East Juniata 3, Lewisburg 1
Lewisburg goals: Sophie Kilbride 1. Lewisburg assists: Taryn Beers 1.
Lock Haven 5, District of Columbia 1
District of Columbia 1 0 — 1
Lock Haven 1 4 — 5
LHU_Brian Flatter (penalty kick), 7:33. DC–Vitor Gomes, 43:47. LHU–Andrew Moore (Flatter), 56:03. LHU–Andrea DiSomma (Shane Colegrove), 56:50. LHU–Matthew McDermott, 73:05. LHU–Zane Puhala (Brand Brackbill), 86:04.
Shots: DC 10, LHU 18. Corners: DC 6, LHU 5. Saves: DC 5 (MIlton Diaz), LHU 2 (Jason Keller).
Records: Lock Haven (2-1).