Local roundup: Trevouledes helps lift Hughesville boys soccer to season-opening win
Nick Trevouledes scored twice as Hughesville started the boys soccer season with a 2-1 victory over Shikellamy on Saturday. Kadin Fetterman had five saves for the Spartans.
Brock Weaver recorded five saves, but Millville scored midway through the second half to defeat South Williamsport, 1-0, in the Mounties’ season openenr. South Williamsport was held to just two shots on goal.
Milton blanked Central Mountain, 3-0, as Conner Smith scored twice and Austin Gainer added a goal. Evan Yoder, Ethan Hamilton and Carter Lilley all had assists for the Black Panthers and Tyler Flederbach recorded 13 saves.
Jersey Shore defeated Mifflinburg, 2-0, and tied perennial district power Midd-West in double overtime, 0-0, in the Midd-West Tournament. In the first game, Eli Reibson scored midway through the first half and then assisted on Brek Miller’s goal right before the half. The Bulldogs yielded just one shot on goal.
Logan Bailey came up big in goal against the Mustangs, recording 13 saves and was voted Player of the Day by the Midd-West Tournament.
Trace Neary scored four goals to help Sullivan County defeat Montgomery, 6-2. Owen Sherman scored twice in a minute’s span for the Red Raiders.
Sullivan County’s Chloe Burke became a 50-goal scorer as she had four goals in a girls soccer game against CMVT. Final stats were not made available.
Kerrah Clymer scored five goals and had an assist as Wellsboro scored four goals in both halves in an 8-1 rout over Northern Tier rival Northeast Bradford. Cara Tennis had a goal and four assists for the Green Hornets.
South Williamsport dropped its season opener to Benton, 9-3. The Mounties gave up three goals in the final five minutes. Bryn Hess scored four goals and had three assists. The Mounties were led by McKaye Wilton, Lauren Weinhoffer and Julia Yeagle who all scored. Brooklyn Lentz, Olivia Casella and Clauda Green had an assist each.
Laila Shams recorded seven saves.
“Benton is an excellent team that plays great possession soccer. They should compete for the district championship,” South Williamsport coach Marc Lovecchio said. “It was a great game for us to start the season because we saw the many areas where we need to improve. I was very pleased with our effort and improvement during the game.”
Shikellamy blanked Hughesville, 2-0, as Eryn Swanger and Wiley Egan both had unassisted goals. Lucy Myers had 10 saves for the Spartans.
Loyalsock tied Shamokin in double overtime, 1-1. Freshman Katie Ryder scored her first career goal off a penalty kick for the Lancers. Loyalsock travels to Central Columbia Monday for a 7 p.m. game.
In girls tennis, Loyalsock defeated Central Mountain, 3-2. Katie Savidge earned a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles for the Lancers against Carolina Carpenetti. Central Mountain’s Olivia Anastos and Katie Kwiatek earned wins at Nos. 2 and 3 singles, respectively.
Warrior Run’s Caden Dufrene placed first in a boys cross country meet with Selinsgrove with a time of 16 minutes, 46 seconds, besting teammate Andrew Adams by more than a minute. Adams finished in 17:55. The Defenders won the meet, 21-34.
Lewisburg had all the top 7 finishers in a meet with Shikellamy as the Green Dragons won, 15-47. Jacob Hess finished first in a time of 15:55, the only runner to break 16 minutes. Calvin Bailey took second in 16:37 and Thomas Hess finished third in 16:49.
In girls cross country, Warrior Run beat Selinsgrove in a home meet, 22-35. The Defenders finished 1-2 in the meet as Lauren Trapani won with a time of 18:44 and Alyssa Hoffman took second in 19:51.
At the PHAC Invitational in golf competition, Montoursville’s Peyton Mussina placed second with a score of 74, coming in just one stroke behind Bloomsburg’s Ben Sohosky. Mussina was 4-over par. Lewisburg Nick Mahoney was third (76) and Montoursville’s Cameron Francis was fourth (77).
On the girls side at the PHAC Invitational, Loyalsock’s Cassie Gee led all competitors by shooting an 85, beating Lewisburg’s Ava Markunas (86) by one stroke. Loyalsock’s Grace Shaible was third (90) and Lewisburg’s Ryleigh Faust (91) was fourth. Lewisburg’s Brynn Wagner (93) and Loyalsock’s Mia Patterson (93) were tied for fifth.
Hughesville 2, Shikellamy 1
H – Nick Trevouledes (Ethan Jackson), 3:26. S – Cam Cowder (penalty kick), 11:19. H – Trevouledes (Jeff Fenstermacher), 8:29.
Shots: H 3, S 6. Corners: H 4, S 3. Saves: H 5 (Kadin Fetterman), S 1 (Dylan Zechman).
Records: Hughesville (1-0), Shikellamy (0-1).
Millville 1, South Williamsport 0
M – Dyllan Klinger, 25:00.
Shots: M 6, SW 2. Corners: M 5, SW 7. Saves: M 2 (Landon Evans), SW 5 (Brock Weaver).
Records: Millville (1-0), South Williamsport (0-1).
Milton 3, Central Mountain 0
M – Conner Smith (Evan Yoder), 15:03. M–Austin Gainer (Ethan Hamilton), 23:14. M–Conner Smith (Carter Lilley), 77:06.
Shots: M 8, CM 13. Corners: M 4, CM 8. Saves: M 13 (Tyler Flederbach), CM 5 (Cy Probst).
Records: Milton (1-0), Central Mountain (0-1).
Sullivan County 6, Montgomery 2
SC–Trace Neary (Rielly King), 12:00. SC–Neary, 26:00. SC–Neary (penalty kick), 30:00. SC–Alex Schweitzer, 31:00. M–Owen Sherman, 33:00. M–Sherman (Dalton Smith), 33:00. SC–Jalen Thomas (Landon Baldwin), 54:00. SC–Neary, 55:00.
Shots: SC 16, M 6. Corners: SC 7, M 1. Saves: SC 4 (Owen Schweitzer, Gavyn Stoner), M 10 (Josh Alverez).
Records: Sullivan County (1-0), Montgomery (0-1). Next game: South Williamsport at Sullivan County, Monday, 4:30 p.m.
Wellsboro 8, Northeast Bradford 1
W–Kerrah Clymer, 25:51. W–Cara Tennis (Clymer), 19:32. W–Clymer (Tennis), 14:35. W–Clymer (Tennis), 6:16. W–Jena Boyce (Tennis), 28:48. W–Clymer (Jordyn Abernathy), 15:51. W–Own goal, 14:17. NEB–Kayleih Thoman, 13:29. W–Clymer (Tennis), 2:05.
Shots: NEB 8, W 21. Corners: NEB 5, W 8. Saves: NEB 8 (Ciana Frisbie), W 7 (Lilly Abadi).
Shikellamy 2, Hughesville 0
S–Wiley Egan, 49:49. S–Eryn Swanger, 77:17.
Shots: S 12, H 10. Saves: H 10 (Lucy Myers), S 10 (Cassi Ronk).
Records: Hughesville (0-1). Next game: Danville at Hughesville, Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Loyalsock 3, Central Mountain 2
1. Katie Savidge (L) def. Carolina Carpenetti, 6-1, 6-0; 2. Olivia Anastos (CM) def. Abbie Machmer, 6-3, 6-3; 3. Katie Kwiatek (CM) def. Mia Blas, 6-3, 6-0.
1. Sarah Hall/Anna Hall (L) def. Caitlyn Dale/Ella Talbot, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4; 2. Madelyn Hall/Isabella Dadzie (L) def. Claire Long/Bree Weaver, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4.
BOYS CROSS COUNTRY
Warrior Run 21, Selinsgrove 34
1. Caden Dufrene, WR, 16:46; 2. Andrew Adams, WR, 17:55; 3. Zachary Wentz, S, 18:21; 4. Derick Blair, S, 18:22; 5. Spencer Fogelman, WR, 18:26; 6. Jason Wood, WR, 18:33; 7. Liam Boyer, WR, 19:32; 8. Ben Malehorn, S, 20:13; 9. Mason Reitenbach, S, 20:21; 10. Jarrett Lee, S, 20:32.
Lewisburg 15, Shikellamy 47
1. Jacob Hess, L, 15:55; 2. Calvin Bailey, L, 16:37; 3. Thomas Hess, L, 16:49; 4. Gianluca Perrone, L, 17:05; 5. Bryce Ryder, L, 17:34; 6. Connor Murray, L, 17:50; 7. Paul Snyder, S, 17:54; 8. Micaeh Zellers, S, 18:10; 9. Tim Gale, S, 18:17; 10. Ezra Buonopane, L, 18:40.
GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY
Warrior Run 22, Selinsgrove 35
1. Lauren Trapani, WR, 18:44; 2. Alyssa Hoffman, WR, 19:51; 3. Shaela Kruskie, S, 20:02; 4. Sage Dunkleberger, WR, 20:14; 5. Breia Mayes, S, 20:17; 6. Zoe Tomko, S, 20:27; 7. Mikaela Majcher, WR, 20:37; 8. Sienna Dunkleberger, WR, 20:41; 9. Alanna Ranck, WR, 20:51; 10. Ade Leason, S, 21:30.
HIGH SCHOOL GOLF
1. Ben Sohosky, Bloomsburg, 73; 2. Peyton Mussina, Montoursville, 74; 3. Nick Mahoney, Lewisburg, 76; 4. Cameron Francis, Montoursville, 77; 5. Julian Krainak, Midd-West,80; 6. Sam Wetmiller, Selinsgrove, 81; 7. Charlie Betz, Danville, 82; 9. Nick Whitesel, Midd-West, 86; T100. Will Gronlund, Lewisburg, 87; T10. Garrett Howell, Selinsgrove, 87.
1. Cassie Gee, Loyalsock, 85; 2. Ava Markunas, Lewisbug, 86; 3. Grace Shaible, Loyalsock, 90; 4. Ryleigh Faust, Lewisburg, 91; T5. Brynn Wagner, Lewisburg, 93; T5. Mia Patterson, Loyalsock, 93; 7. Allyia Kennedy, 102; T8. Tori Volderheid, Lewisburg, 114; T8. Alexandria Chilson, Williamsport, 114.