×

Williamsport fire leaves three temporarily homeless

City fire fighters work at the scene of a fire at 117 Sixth St. in Williamsport Thursday morning. PHILIP A. HOLMES/Sun-Gazette

City firefighters rushed to the home of Joseph Harden at 117 Sixth St. in Williamsport about 9 a.m. Thursday when a fire, believed to have been caused by a space heater, broke out in the living room, according to fire Platoon Chief Sam Aungst.

A working smoke alarm alerted Harden’s teenage son, who safely escaped the two-and-a half story, Aungst said.

Harden was at work and a teenage daughter was in school at the time, Aungst said he was told.

An interior door to the living room was closed, and this really helped prevent the fire from spreading, Aungst explained.

Once on the scene, firefighters had the fire extinguished within minutes.

City fire fighters work at the scene of a fire at 117 Sixth St. in Williamsport Thursday morning. PHILIP A. HOLMES/Sun-Gazette

Harden, who rented from Matt Schauer of Williamsport, did not have renter’s insurance, but the owner did, Aungst said. Damage was estimated at about $10,000.

Harden and his two children had a place to stay, Aungst said.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today